Cross Country

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cross Country

Photo Courtesy of PV Times

Photo Courtesy of PV Times

Photo Courtesy of PV Times

Photo Courtesy of PV Times

Zarah Whittle, Journalist

The Cross Country team is leading the Fall sports to an impressive new season, and Bryce Odegard, senior at Pahrump Valley High School finished first in the 5,000 meter race on September 26, at Centennial Weekday Cross Country Meet. Odegard has finished first at four different meets, including Centennial.

Grace Plumb, a senior, placed 24 at Centennial with a time of 22 minutes in the 5,000 meter race. Plumb is PVHS’s best female runner and has placed in the top ten at three meets.

“The season is going well. We are off to a good start,” says Cross Country Coach Matthew Kolodzieczyk, “but we need to stay focused if we plan on competing at the state meet.”

Photo Courtesy of PV Times

Brandon Ruud, PVHS sophomore, says the season is going well, the team has a good chance of going to state, and each meet he gets better and better. He added that all the runners challenge each other.

“The boys finished second at the Las Vegas Invitational,” says Kolodzieczyk. The girls keep improving every meet. And all the runners have improved their finishes.

The team welcomed four new female runners this year: Shailynn Winter (freshman), Nrsringa Breathwaite (sophomore), Neele Stelljes (junior), and Cynthia Martin (senior).

Cynthia Martin, a rookie runner with a time of 18:15 in the 2.5 mile, already has the fourth place finish in school record book. And she placed fourth at the Desert Oasis Weekday Meet.

The team’s practices consist of a warm up and some agilities around the school. Then they run a golf course near the high school or run various loops around the community.

Last year, the team took fifth in the NIAA 3A State Championships, and they are hoping to place higher for this years NIAA 3A State Championships on November 4.