Trump Shuts Down DACA

Axel Ramirez, Journalist

DACA is a legislative act that lets children that came to the United States illegally stay in the U.S. To be able to apply for DACA, you had to come to the U.S. before the age of 16 before 2012. Trump will be shutting down DACA on March 5, 2018.

Following Trump’s decision to terminate DACA, many people are protesting in front of the White House against the removal of DACA. Since 2012, over 11 million undocumented immigrants came to the United States. When DACA expires, over 100,000 people will be deported, but the five-year-old policy will allow them to stay and they will be given the right to work legally.

A sophomore at Pahrump Valley High School, Marisol Villicana, said that DACA should be renewed because everyone should have an  education. “I think that’s unfair because the children shouldn’t be to blame for being illegal and I think they should still deserve their education,” she said.

In 2014, Barack Obama announced that his intentions were to expand DACA to cover more immigrants but over half the states such as Alabama, Georgia and Nebraska sued Barack Obama to prevent the expansion of DACA from happening. Senator Jeff Flake from Arizona wants to deport gang members and wants more security around the borders.

Although President Trump is moving for the removal of the program, many high-ranking Republican members such as Paul Ryan (speaker of the house) and Orrin Hatch (presidential pro-tempore) support the program. Many Republicans from the Tea Party still support DACA’s removal and Trump’s presidency.

Bernie Sanders has also voiced his Opinion, stating, “Ending DACA would be one of the most ugliest and cruelest decisions ever made by a president.”

No matter what side of the aisle, neither side supports the decision to remove the DACA program, which could lead to more criticism targeting the president, and cause more uncertainty whether Trump’s rule is arrogant or proper.