Trump Shuts Down DACA

Axel Ramirez, Journalist

DACA is a legislative act that lets children that came to the United States illegally stay in the U.S. To be able to apply for DACA, you had to come to the U.S. before the age of 16 before 2012. Trump will be shutting down DACA on March 5, 2018.

Following Trump’s decision to terminate DACA, many people are protesting in front of the White House against the removal of DACA. Since 2012, over 11 million undocumented immigrants came to the United States. When DACA expires, over 100,000 people will be deported, but the five-year-old policy will allow them to stay and they will be given the right to work legally.

A sophomore at Pahrump Valley High School, Marisol Villicana, said that DACA should be renewed because everyone should have an  education. “I think that’s unfair because the children shouldn’t be to blame for being illegal and I think they should still deserve their education,” she said.

In 2014, Barack Obama announced that his intentions were to expand DACA to cover more immigrants but over half the states such as Alabama, Georgia and Nebraska sued Barack Obama to prevent the expansion of DACA from happening. Senator Jeff Flake from Arizona wants to deport gang members and wants more security around the borders.

Although President Trump is moving for the removal of the program, many high-ranking Republican members such as Paul Ryan (speaker of the house) and Orrin Hatch (presidential pro-tempore) support the program. Many Republicans from the Tea Party still support DACA’s removal and Trump’s presidency.

Bernie Sanders has also voiced his Opinion, stating, “Ending DACA would be one of the most ugliest and cruelest decisions ever made by a president.”

No matter what side of the aisle, neither side supports the decision to remove the DACA program, which could lead to more criticism targeting the president, and cause more uncertainty whether Trump’s rule is arrogant or proper.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Trump Shuts Down DACA”

1. Jeremiah Oloff on November 27th, 2017 8:46 am

love this articlle

2. Steven Edwards on February 9th, 2018 11:42 am

I do not agree with Trump’s plan to end the D.A.C.A. program and I agree with Bernie Sanders that it would be a bad move on Trump’s part to end it. I agree with what Bernie Sanders said: “Ending D.A.C.A. would be one of the most ugliest and cruelest decisions ever made by a president.” It would only create more enemies for the president to have against him. This is only beginning because he does want to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act.

3. Leanne Langston on February 12th, 2018 11:29 am

DACA expands education for children who may not get as good of an education in their home country. When Villicana states “I think that’s unfair because the children shouldn’t be to blame for being illegal” when being informed of DACA being shut down, it proves that this decision will do more harm than good. Children being permitted an education here in the U.S. will benefit these children and the future they have.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Trump Shuts Down DACA

Opinion

Ecological Collapse of California

• Trump Shuts Down DACA

Featured

Valentine’s Day, the day of love

• Trump Shuts Down DACA

Arts and Entertainment

The joy of Mary Poppins Returning

• Trump Shuts Down DACA

Featured

Upcoming New Movies 2019

• Trump Shuts Down DACA

Opinion

The Dangers of Games

• Opinion

Man on the Street

• Trump Shuts Down DACA

Arts and Entertainment

The Beginning

• Featured

Who would you pick

• Opinion

Keep it Clean

• Trump Shuts Down DACA

Opinion

Girl Scouts Struck by Intoxicated Driver

Trump Shuts Down DACA