Preseason Girls Basketball

Jazmyne Turner, Journalist

Bob Hopkins the Coach of Golf,Basketball, he has been the Girls Varsity Coach for 15 years. He absolutely loves it. He also loves playing and coaching Boys and Girls Golf. And many students consider Coach Hopkins the best coach ever. All the girls love him, and he might be old, but he still will splash a 3 (a 3 pointer).

Hopkins loves coaching because of the kids and staff. Every year when the seniors leave it’s hard for him.Coach Hopkins is excited because some girls like Jessica Turner, Sabin Chaidez,Jackie Stobbe,Hannah Mcelheny,Skyler Lauver,Jersey Farnsworth etc get along and because they know it takes a team effort to success. Success to the girls is beating a team and everyone is doing good,in the game and it’s a close game.

Hopkins has open gym so all the girls can work on their individual skills: shooting, dribbling, and offensive movements. Over the summer, he had open gym twice in one day, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They warmed up in the morning and scrimmaged at night.

Jackie Stobbe plays on the Girls Varsity Volleyball team and they hosted playoffs this year at home! Jessica Turner is a lovely singer who practices basketball any time she can get.
Stobbe and Turner have played basketball since they were younger kids.
But Jackie is a guard, a ball handler and outside shooter and Jessica is a post. Usually, a post is tall so they get all the rebounds. A guard is someone who makes all the 3’s.

Stobbe started playing in 4th grade and Turner started playing in 6th grade. They both go to open gym because they both want to improve; both want to make a change with dribbling and shooting and post moves.This is Turner’s last year and she wants to work hard and win all the games. Stobbe has 2 years left, but she still wants to be the best of the best.

Boulder City is our biggest rival since last year. Last year, the JV lost against Boulder City 28-23. They lost because they very nervous but they played there hearts out. Our Varsity won against 27-26, in a very exciting game and that was very close. Hopefully, this year they can change that. Last year our Varsity Girls went to playoffs against Moapa Valley. They unfortunately lost, 42-24. Our Girls JV overall record was 15-2.The Girls Freshman overall record was 8-6.Our Girls Varsity 13-4, 2016-17. Our girls have been working so hard on the fundamentals and the plays to be able to go to state.

Our first game is on November 28 at home !!! JV is at 3:30,Varsity at 5:00, and Freshmen at 6:30.
Come watch us take the win against Del Sol!!!