Girls Soccer Goes to State

Destany Ivy, Journalist

After having to forfeit all games for last year’s soccer season, girls soccer came back wanting revenge, and that’s exactly what they achieved. This season the varsity girls ended the season with a total of sixteen wins, four losses, and three ties according to Nevada Preps, the site where all stats are posted.

On October 25th, Girls Soccer won the Sunset League. This game took place at our field with a tie 0-0 against Sunrise Mountain. This game placed them in first for the league.

During playoffs, the girls played a total of three intense games, winning two out of three. The last game was a loss against Sunrise, sending the Trojans to state with second place for playoffs.

Coach Julie Carrington said, “I was extremely excited for the girls to go to state especially after the disappointing end last year. They worked very hard, played together as a team, and are extremely talented!”

A cold but happy group huddle of the girls soccer team before their final game at the State Championships.

This year was different from all the rest. Since 2013, this is the first time girls soccer made it to state.

The start of the state tournament began November 10th in Sparks, Nevada. Their game was against Truckee High School. Senior Vaniah Vitto scored a goal in the last two minutes of the game, sending them into overtime.

After a tough half, the neck-and-neck game carried into the second overtime, and our Lady Trojans lost to a score of 2-1, sending Truckee to win state.

Kathy Niles, Senior Co-Captain (with Kailtyn Carrington) says, “It was truly memorable to go to state as a senior, to actually experience the change in our program, changing for the better.” 

Sparks gave the girls something they were not prepared for–harsh weather and higher altitudes. It impacted the girls but they did not let that stop them.

The only problem the girls struggled with was having an injured player off the field. Beatrice Favella was injured from a concussion. “I am proud that even though we switched our lineup they played the entire game in new positions,” says Carrington.

“We would have done better if our team dynamic wasn’t off due to the loss of a player,” says Niles, “but I believed we excelled. There is room for improvement as there always is. But overall we played well this season.”

As the season came to an end, the team came together, knowing that they had done their best and couldn’t ask each other for a better group of girls to play with.

About the Writer
Destany Ivy, Journalist

I’m a journalist for your newspaper this year. I try to get as involved as I can and interact with fellow students. A little known fact is I never thought...

1 Comment

One Response to “Girls Soccer Goes to State”

1. Shelby Ledford on January 19th, 2018 2:05 pm

This article is informative, well written, and was a joy to read! Our girls soccer team going to state is an exciting event. They have accomplished so much throughout the season and have made Pahrump Valley proud! I would like to hear even more about what they have done and also what they plan on doing in the future.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Girls Soccer Goes to State

Sports

Volleyball Club

• Girls Soccer Goes to State

PVHS News

Soccer Season Coming to an End

• Girls Soccer Goes to State

Sports

Girls Varsity Soccer

• Girls Soccer Goes to State

Opinion

Who is Playoff Bound?

• Girls Soccer Goes to State

PVHS News

The Tennis Team Takeoff!

• Girls Soccer Goes to State

Sports

First Cross Country Home Meet In Seven Years

• Sports

Golf Season

• Girls Soccer Goes to State

Sports

Softball Makes Playoffs

• Girls Soccer Goes to State

Sports

School Sport Scholarships

• Girls Soccer Goes to State

Opinion

My Run-ins with Track

Girls Soccer Goes to State