Power Hour

Emily Roberts, Journalist

What do little kids want most in school? The ability to wear whatever goofy or stylish hats they want, and more time to hang out with their friends. What have we recently implemented at Pahrump Valley High School? A free hat day and an hour-long lunch.

Almost half of the students at PVHS are failing (or have a “D”) in one or more of their classes. With little tutoring available during the school day, many students find it difficult to get help before or after school due to a lack of access into the building or a ride home from school.

As a result, Mrs. Ehrhart developed a reward program. Every student that does not have any D’s or failing any classes will receive an hour-long lunch to do as they please. Those with unsatisfactory grades will be sent to the said class to be tutored, make up missed tests, or even just turn in late work.

Juniors and seniors are allowed to leave during lunch, as usual. However, since the underclassmen also have that same lunch period, any lower classmen that leave during lunch along with an upperclassmen driver will be restricted from attending the next Power Hour.

That does not leave the underclassmen to an hour of boredom. Many clubs are meeting so that they can get better attendance, and many activities are provided (such as open gym and guest speakers). To prevent excessive fighting from breaking out, Mrs. Ehrhart has implemented a “free hat day” for every 14 days without a scuffle.

However, many teachers have differing opinions on Power Hour. Because it takes away more class time (from our already-shortened periods because of the later start time), many teachers believe that it is ineffective. It could make the students that are succeeding struggle because of the shortened lessons, and those that are failing could find it more difficult to keep up during the actual class.

On the other hand, many teachers love the opportunity to tutor kids one-on-one. In classes such as Ceramics or Calculus, the ability to spend extra time on time-intensive projects or personal lessons for hard subjects can make all the difference for a struggling student.

Students have differing opinions on it, too. Some students love having long lunches, or adversely enjoy the opportunity for tutoring. Others, however, find the shortened class periods incredibly annoying and inconvenient because it detracts from the lesson time. This can increase the amount of homework or even prevent a student from understanding the material at all.

Everyone has different opinions on this Power Hour, but the intention is undeniably good. It will take time to figure out exactly what works, but as of now, it seems like it really is helping.

About the Writer
Emily Roberts, Editor

Hello, I am an aspiring journalism student and I have a passion for music in all aspects. I am a member of student council and a leader in science club. I am also the third (and smartest) part of the Holy Trinity.

15 Comments

15 Responses to “Power Hour”

1. Bobbie Benbo on January 19th, 2018 8:17 am

This article is really well written. I like that you did mention that the intention of Power Hour is good even if there are still working out kinks. Good job 🙂

2. Chris on January 19th, 2018 8:44 am

Solid article, although I feel that harsher action should be taken on those who have reoccurring D’s and F’s and as such, the students whose living conditions or health is affecting their ability to learn or attend classes should be accommodated, and as for those who have nothing limiting their ability to succeed, they should be moved to a different learning environment (e.g. Pathways) entirely if alternative actions prove that their interest in school is minuscule at best. Perhaps the power hour is keeping some heads above the crushing waves, although this system is carrying those who do not deserve the free education they have been given; too many times have I personally met a peer that belittles their attendance and effort at this school, and time and time again, I see these same people breezing through school, whereas those in all AP classes are suffering and the saddest part of all is that these people who put in little to no effort will be carried by the school system to graduating with the same degree as someone who has worked hard throughout their entire high school career.

3. Ayah Khatib on January 19th, 2018 8:48 am

Power Hour has helped me a lot, especially in math. It gives students and teachers more time for a one on one style of teaching for kids who struggle in certain subjects.

4. Xzabian Simmons on February 9th, 2018 12:03 pm

I agree with Ayah Khatib: “it gives students and teachers more time for a one-on-one style of teaching” because it gives you enough time to catch up and get the one-on-one attention.

5. Paige Powell on January 19th, 2018 1:50 pm

I like how this article provides the pros and cons of Power Hour. I always looked at the negatives, instead of considering Power Hour as a way to assist students.
    However, I think you should have included some quotes from students and teachers rather than just a summary of what students think. I think it would be nice to hear directly from students and teachers.
    Overall, this is a well written article. Great job!

6. Emanuel Ribeiro-Reyes on January 19th, 2018 2:02 pm

The article gives a great insight on the positive aspects Power Hour has on a school that doesn’t have many options to improve a student’s abilities. While it may be a hassle for students to take time out of their time with friends in lunch, it also gives students a great opportunity to recover their grades and obtain their credits. Overall, Power Hour is a positive attempt by the school to increase graduation rates for students.

7. Tristan Coleman on February 9th, 2018 9:33 am

Power Hour is a tremendous idea that may help a massive amount of students failing a class, but more rash actions should be taken into case when a student is failing; also, it takes away from valuable learning time. Emily Roberts suggests, “many teachers believe that it is ineffective” which may be the case. A substantial amount of students may be failing one specific class, so all those students will be in that one class; there’s not enough chairs and desks in one specific class to fit a large group of students.

8. Logan Dykstra on February 9th, 2018 9:38 am

Power Hour is a great plan for the students that need the help even if the student is not failing, but they just needed some help and cannot get a ride so they can stay for after school tutoring. This is where Power Hour can help. There is a problem with the lunch; for example, how can the school find every student that is not an upperclassmen? And punishment is low for the students that do their punishment. It is “restricted from attending the next Power Hour.”

9. Lani on February 9th, 2018 11:53 am

Power hour seems like a waste of time in my opinion. Very few students use the time to catch up in class, they mess around the short time they’re given to even get something done. It’s enough time to get 1-2 assignments done, MAYBE. It’s an inadequate way of pulling grades up, and it’s essentially up to the student whether or not they want to catch up. Furthermore, the later starting time of school, has been incredibly beneficial to many, and school could end a little later if teachers need longer class periods “from our already-shortened periods because of the later start time.” Also, offering a “hat day” is ridiculous. We are 14-18 years old. This isn’t elementary school. Being treated like a bunch of little kids is taken very humorously. Getting two students to avoid fighting would require getting them to cool their temper, before actually involving themselves in a scuffle. Not a single student takes it seriously, and hat day is nothing that will affect our everyday student’s life positively or negatively.

10. Ana Guillamo on February 9th, 2018 11:55 am

Everybody has different opiniosn. Whenever someone makes a new rule, not everyone agrees with it. However, I think the Power Hour has positive and negative things, letting students who are failing get their grades up. According to the article, “almost half of the students at PVHS are failing [(or have a ‘D’)] in one or more of their classes,” which is hard to believe.

11. Anthony Peralta on February 9th, 2018 11:56 am

I like the way you explain how power hour works and the free hat day; although, at the beginning, you are practically calling high school students little kids. “What do little kids want most in school? The ability to wear whatever goofy or stylish hats they want.” High school students don’t care to wear hats for going fourteen days without fighting. I could understand if you’re calling elementary students little kids, but most high school students have jobs and help support their family.

12. David Douthwright on February 9th, 2018 12:03 pm

Honestly, Mrs. Ehrhart’s implement of “Power Hour” has been a complete waste of our Wednesdays. What she needs to do is give back our early release days that were stripped away from us and offer better tutoring to those students who are struggling; however, these students who are supposedly struggling are those who are always either locked away in detention every day or honestly don’t care about their education. Those individuals believe that their parents are going to support them for the rest of their lives and that nothing they do now will ever impact them in their future but are they are incompetent and wrong and are in for a giant wake up call.

13. Tristan Coleman on February 12th, 2018 8:59 am

AMEN BROTHER

14. Donnie Miller on February 12th, 2018 11:41 am

Power Hour is super great for people that want to get outside and play some ball. It’s a really smart way to reward people that are passing and it pushes students to strive for better grades because they want to hang out with friends. Anthony Peralta says “at the beginning, you are practically calling high school students little kids.” I don”t like the fact that they are comparing us to little kids with “hat day” but either way it really doesn’t effect me.

15. Vanessa Lira on February 12th, 2018 11:54 am

Power Hour has positive and negative attributes. It gives the students the ability to raise their grades up if they wanted to but some students don’t and spend the time messing around. According to the article “almost half of the students at PVHS are failing ( or have a D)” so it gives the students a chance to raise their grades up.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Power Hour