Talents Among Us

Pahrump Valley High School is filled with talented students and teachers.

Ronni Spaulding, Journalist

Talent is defined as a natural aptitude or skill. There are several talents possessed by those who choose to show it off, or they keep it on the down low. Often, teachers are looked at as just teachers, and seeing them do anything else is just, “abnormal.” But, does one ever think of the talent these students and teachers may possess?

Ms. Daleena Craig, a very knowledgeable English teacher, enthusiastically loves music. She sings and plays the piano like a goddess. She often performed piano in front of crowds when she was younger. Her favorite pieces to play are, Cat and the Mouse composed by Aaron Copeland and Moonlight Sonata composed by Beethoven.

Mrs. Kolodzieczyk, teaches English and drama. She is very good at acting and was in several plays as a child, one of them being The Sound of Music. She said, “I studied music in college as well as marching band at Western Michigan University.” As another side talent, she is very creative when it comes to quilting, often making quilts for Mr. and Mrs. Funk’s baby, Isabella.

Mr. Read, a high school science teacher at PVHS, has more in his past than just knowledge about science. Read set many records at his Oregon high school for track and field, going to state all 4 years. He was very talented, and he became fifth person alternate for the 1988 Olympic team.

These talents aren’t just possessed by teachers, but also fellow students. Many PVHS students are commonly known for their great athletic ability, from breaking school records, or being a big part of why their team is going to regionals. Junior, Dakota Gray, has a talent that not many have.

Gray is a very accurate rifleman. She is ranked 3rd in the nation for cowboy rifle shooting. A cowboy rifle is a rifle that is loaded by lever action instead of cocking. Gray is about 5 foot tall, which makes her talent even more unique because she demonstrates that her size doesn’t matter.

Tower of Cards band members Left to Right: Garrett Lucas, Willie Lucas, Adrian Grimaud, Ryan Ogle, and Brooklyn Thomassian.                                  Photo Courtesy of Tower of Cards.

An individual who has a voice that must be heard is Adrian Grimaud, and he is a very talented singer. Grimaud is lead singer of an alternative rock band named Tower of Cards that is filled with opportunity. Performing locally and creating their first album, has put them (especially Grimaud) in the spotlight. To check out their first music video, you can visit Youtube and search, “Tower of Cards: Happily Ever After.” Check out Adrian Grimaud’s talent and the talent of the entire band while supporting your local musicans.

Talent isn’t based off how good you look, or how well you are at showing it off. Being able to share your talent with others is what makes you the star.