A Safe Place

SafeVoice is an anonymous reporting system that can save lives.

Darcy Biermeyer, Journalist

Every student has dealt with some sort of bullying, mental illness, or abuse in their life. Even if they are not the one subject to cruelties, it is inevitable that they have encountered someone that has. It can be difficult to help a fellow student (or oneself) out of a situation like that, which is why PVHS is now promoting SafeVoice as an outlet.

© Shutterstock / tommaso79
Nobody can face everything alone.

SafeVoice Nevada is an anonymous reporting system for a variety of issues, such as bullying, threats of violence, or suicide prevention. If someone is concerned about a fellow student, they can report them on SafeVoice without any trace back to them. This can help people get help from trained professionals that they would otherwise be without.

There are different categories of importance in which reports are sorted. If it is an immediate threat, such as a report of someone bringing a gun to school or someone about to hurt themselves, the report is sent to the local police.

If the threat is less imminent, it is sent to either the district or school for staff to deal with. Because the report is anonymous, there is no way for you to be updated on the status of the situation.

The process of reporting an incident on SafeVoice is rather easy. You simply search “SafeVoice Nevada” and scroll to the bottom, clicking on the button that says “make a report.” The form is simple and straightforward, giving you drop-down menus and choices to make the process easier.

If you are reporting someone, it is important to include any information you know. You can even specify if it is a rumor being spread around, or if it is information directly from the person in question. It is important to include any names or dates involved in the incident.

I took it upon myself to test this out. I submitted a report (it took me less than five minutes) concerning an anxiety disorder, explaining how I was afraid to come forward to any counselors. I included my email (not associated with my name) and sent it. I did not include my name, and the email was not necessary, but I was curious about how (or if) they would contact me.

After submitting the anonymous report, the screen changes to display a unique “Tip ID” and password that you can, again anonymously, sign into. The screen prompts you to “login often to see if any questions or messages have been left for you.”

Through this method, they can respond to any concerns you have or further inquire about your situation. They also say they will keep you updated on the tip through this login.

I signed in to this website (www.p3tips.com) a few minutes after submitting the report to see how it would work. Almost immediately I received a message from “SafeVoice.” They inquired more about why I was scared to go to the counselors and talked me through it, trying to get a good hold on my situation.

I took a few minutes to reply, but they responded (typically) within a minute. They were very encouraging and prompted me to seek help, but did not pressure me at all. They offered several options on how to get help, and even offered to just keep talking through that chat.

Overall, the experience was great. I was incredibly impressed with the speed of action and their professional tone. I felt comfortable talking to them rather than pressured or misunderstood.

Even though I only used this to report anxiety, it appears to be a great tool to report other incidents as well, especially if you’re afraid of coming forward yourself. The repercussions can be terrifying, but with SafeVoice, they want to help.