Rising Interest in Broadway Musicals

Emma Deroque, Journalist

Broadway musicals have been popular sources for entertainment for many people, but most tend to be older folks; but why have they suddenly become popular again among many of the 21st century’s youth?

When somebody hears the word “musical,” the first words that typically come to mind are “lame” and “boring.” At least that would be the common response a couple years ago. But in recent years, teenagers have found something within the musical world that has caught their attention.

The songs, the stories, and the overall relatability of the plays are the main sources of attraction for many teens. According to Rachel Sorrell, who was a member of the RCMS choir and who currently is involved in a dual credit program at Great Basin College, “Broadway musicals have become so popular among young people because they have good stories and more contemporary artists are making musicals, so now instead of more traditional genres being used, there are more contemporary and modern genres like pop, hip-hop, and alternative.”

It seems to be that the show that triggered this sudden musical interest is Hamilton, which is a hip-hop style musical written in 2015 by Lin-Manuel Miranda. He’s produced multiple musicals and he himself has won multiple awards such as a Pulitzer Prize, an Emmy, Academy Award, as well as 3 Tony Awards and Grammy’s. However, Hamilton is by far his most popular work. The musical tells the story of America’s Founding Fathers in an unexpectedly fun and creative way with a cast that is very racially diverse, which is very appealing to many viewers because it makes the play much more relatable to a vast majority of people.

Because of Hamilton, many newer musicals such as Heathers, Be More Chill, Dear Evan Hansen, and Waitress have become just a few of the most popular musicals among teens.

Newfound interest in the older Broadway musicals such as Phantom of the Opera, Cats, and Chicago has been the by-product of these newer musicals, and some of them are even making a comeback to the Broadway stage.

This rising interest is also directing new attention to drama and musical groups in schools. A friend of mine, Andrew Meis, who is a drama student from Memorial High School in Michigan, believes that teenager’s interests are finally changing for the better.

He added that  “Teenagers are learning to appreciate plays and all the work and effort put into them, which really helps drama departments in schools. More people are interested in joining or getting involved in some way, and it’s great.”

Musicals can also help introduce controversial topics. The Book of Mormon, for instance, presents the story of two young Mormons who venture to Africa to preach about their religion, and throughout the play, many stereotypical Mormon traits are portrayed in a humorous and even mockingly way.

Despite the sensitive topic of religion, The Book of Mormon is still considered one of the most popular musicals currently being performed. Controversial musicals such as this are important for young people. The arguable intrigue can bring up an interesting topic among  young people, and give them something to consider. In addition, they can even learn about the religion through comedy and song.

The interest in Broadway musicals is a great hobby for a teen to become invested in. There are very few teenagers who dislike music; they always seem to be able to find something they can relate to through songs, and musicals have songs with a story. Because of the wide array of music genres that they provide, everybody has a musical they can relate to.