School Uniforms – Yay or Nay

School uniforms has been a subject of hot debate at PVHS.

Paige Powell

Every day, countless students are punished simply for expressing themselves. The administration cracks down on these students and forces them to cover up the offending clothing (or lack thereof). Can this issue be solved by something as simple as uniforms?

The dress code has been a controversial topic for as long as it has existed. Some students agree with it, while others hate it with their entire being. This issue seems to increase as students blatantly challenge the rules and complain about it in the hallways.

This issue can be solved by making school uniforms required. By wearing school uniforms, students have to abide by the dress code. Unable to wear their own clothes, students are required to wear the uniforms if they want to attend school.

While it may sound like a solution to this decades-old problem, there are downsides. Melanie Topliff, a JROTC cadet and ninth grader, said, “Nobody can express themselves freely [if they have to wear uniforms].” With the way students have to dress set in stone, there is no room for self expression, which is fundamental when growing up.

Poor income families are already struggling as is. With the added cost of uniforms, families may not be able to afford sending their child to school. Eva Arian, a Pahrump citizen and a mother of three, says, “The biggest downsides to uniforms would be the cost. Some people can barely get food on the table.”

Free public education suddenly isn’t as free with uniforms. Topliff said, “It’s stupid for a kid not to be able to go to school because [they have] no money.”

However, uniforms cost less in the long run. While families may not be able to afford it all at once, uniforms, on average, cost less than back-to-school shopping in the United States. Time Magazine noted, “[Americans] with kids in kindergarten through 12th grade will shell out $24.9 billion [a year]” (Parents, Brace Yourselves: This Is How Much You’ll Spend on Back-to-School Shopping).  With school uniforms, the amount of money wasted yearly will be diminished.

Not only will uniforms cost less overall, it will also decrease the amount of peer pressure and bullying. Trevor Price, a United States Army Veteran, said,  “[Uniforms made me] feel like I belonged. It created this sort of close-knit community between people you never even thought to become friends with.” Uniforms can help improve the atmosphere, making everyone feel like they are on the same level, rather than having a sense of superiority or inferiority.

The purpose of the dress code is to put all focus on school rather than clothing. For students, especially teens, appearance is everything. With uniforms, students can focus more on schooling rather than picking out outfits and spending hours perusing the latest fashion trends.

Discomfort is a major issue when it comes to uniforms. The uniforms may not fit right or be comfortable for some students. Previous JROTC cadet and 10th grader Isabelle Yost can vouch for this, stating “[JROTC] uniforms never fit me right. The shoes hurt my feet and the shirt was too tight and too long.”

Discomfort doesn’t only mean physical. It could also mean psychological. Transgender students and students going through gender dysphoria will feel ostracized. Students that are feeling conflicted between genders may use clothing as a way to express themselves and feel more comfortable in their own body; if uniforms adhere to a certain gender, students going through this issue will be forced to conform to a gender they don’t identify with.

Another concern rears it’s head – behavioral issues. If a student doesn’t want to wear the uniforms, they may start rebelling against the school and ditch. Students will be missing more school time and, as a result, will have more of a negative impact on attendance and grades because they did not want to wear uniforms.

Outside of school, students may also become obnoxious. By displaying what school they go to, students are giving the school a bad name, making townspeople regard the school with disdain.

With students all wearing the same thing, spotting intruders would be easier. The perpetrator will be out of place and obvious, sticking out like a sore thumb.

However, by proudly displaying the school’s insignia and colors, students will be showing they are proud of their school and boost school spirit. It will make school more connected and like a community.

Requiring uniforms will make students take school more seriously. Arian said, “[Uniforms will improve attendance] because people will feel more professional.” Adding a sense of professionalism to school will make students work earnestly, rather than blowing off school work off and ditching.

Students aren’t the only ones who have a dress code. Teachers also have to abide by a set of rules. Topliff said, ”[Letting teachers wear what they want] would be unfair.” Yost added, ”[If teachers wear uniforms,] it’ll make the students feel more comfortable and it’ll make the school look more professional.” Students may not be as afraid of teachers if they have similar clothing, and a connection may be formed because of the similar clothes.

The dress code exists so students will put more focus on school and not on clothing. While it is a serious issue that greatly impacts the school environment, is dictating what students wear the only way to solve this issue? Or will it cause more harm than good?