Pahrump’s Annual Balloon Festival

Every year Pahrump hosts a Balloon Festival located at Petrick Park.

Ronni Spaulding, Journalist

When February arrives, so does Pahrump’s Annual Balloon Festival, which was held at Petrack Park on Friday, February 23rd through Sunday, February 25.

The Balloon Festival first came to Pahrump in 2013, and now it’s in its 5th year. With about 15,000 visitors last year, the Festival included things such as balloon bouquets and a barbeque. This year there were 85 vendors, 10 carnival rides, 35 balloon pilots, 2 tethered balloon rides and much more.

There was a PVHS rodeo with 160 students in 61 events, and President of the Rodeo Club PVHS senior, Mia Krebs, was in 2 events, goat tying and breakaways. This was the club’s first rodeo in 11 years.

At 6 AM every day the festival started, and the National Anthem followed 30 minutes later. A balloon liftoff at 7 AM every day, with the rodeo starting at 8 AM.

A tethered balloon ride is when you take off in the balloon without completely free flying, still connected by a rope to the ground.

There were 30+ balloons that were present at the festival. There was a glow show (Glowing Hot Air Balloons) was on Friday and Saturday at 6 p.m.

Pahrump’s Balloon Festival was inspired by the annual Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. Albuquerque’s Fiesta has been around for more than 3 decades and lasts for 9 days in October. The idea of the Balloon Glows were also inspired by Albuquerque’s fiesta.

In a nutshell, I highly suggest visiting the Balloon Festival because not only does it provide something to do, but it adds a spark to Pahrump by bringing an event that brings the whole town together.