Summer Plans

Back to Article
Back to Article

Summer Plans

"Nigel Lord"

"Nigel Lord"

"Nigel Lord"

Damia Owens, Journalist

In the summer, students typically enjoy taking a dip in the pool, checking out a blockbuster movie, traveling to California, sleeping throughout the day, bowling a couple games, reading a good book, and the like.

Photo credit: audleytravel.com

Ladejia Owens, my sister, said, “I’m going on a cruise with my aunt and cousin to Mexico.”  This is an exotic location, especially on the Baja peninsula where the nice beaches are.

On a cruise, teenagers can surf the wave machine, attend shows and concerts, sing terribly at karaoke, eat buffets and desserts until you’re stuffed, go rock climbing and zip lining, and tons of other cool stuff like excursions.

Shanique Brown, my friend from Vegas, said, “I’m going to Jamaica because I used to live there growing up and I miss my friends and grandparents and I miss the ocean.” Jamaica is off the coast of Florida, located in the Caribbean.

On the pristine beaches of Jamaica, one can explore the tide pools, go boogie boarding, collect seashells, try parasailing, surfing, snorkeling. Sounds like fun, right?

If you’re unable to leave Pahrump for summer vacation, there are plenty of opportunities around here: you can volunteer at the No to Abuse shelter, Goodwill, Inspiration old folks’ home, or other animal shelters; become a lifeguard at Petrack Park or find a job at one of the many fireworks stores because of the Fourth of July celebrations. You can also go to the Prize Zone Arcade south of Saddle West and join their summer pool league, off-roading, morning hiking, or attending a writing camp at the NYECC, the Nye County Coalition across the street from Community Christian Academy and the Nye County School District office.

If you want to check out a late-night movie, go to Ian Deutch park starting May 26 when at sundown. They are playing CoCo, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, Beauty and the Beast, Deep, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, The Nut Job 2, Paddington 2. Bring a blanket or lawn chair, some snacks (and they have a concession stand), and settle in for a night of your favorite movie stars, under the stars.

We, as teenagers, have too much down time, and summer is for us to lie back and rest, but there is so much to do.  Get out there and do it.