Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

"The only thing we have to fear is fear it'self - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified, terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." ---- FDR - First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1933

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Flifestyle%2Fhealth%2Fspiders-vomit-britains-most-common-11467101
https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/spiders-vomit-britains-most-common-11467101

Jazmine Cook, Journalist

Everyone has a phobia or a fear of something, whether it’s arachnophobia, the fear or spiders, or aquaphobia, the fear of water. Some phobias are crazier than others. Here are the top ten strangest phobias.

Number ten on the strangest phobia list is hylophobia. This is the fear of wood, forests, or trees. This could be caused by a traumatic event such as being beaten with a piece of wood or being attacked in the woods.

Number nine, decidophobia, is the fear of making decisions. It was founded by Walter Kaufmann. Walter Kaufmann, a German-American philosopher, came up with the term in 1973 in his book Without Guilt or Justice.

Number eight is the fear of walking down stairs or inclines, called descendophobia. People who who have descendophobia often experience dizziness and the opposite is ascendophobia. Ascendophobia is the fear of fear of going up stairs or inclines.

Number seven on our list is trypophobia, the fear of clustered holes usually found on biological organisms. Not many people are diagnosed with this phobia, but those who are diagnosed often associate the shapes of the holes with danger and disease.

Number six is luposlipaphobia, which started as a joke from Far Side comic strip. It is the fear of being pursued by timber wolves around a kitchen table while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor. Although this would be a crazy phobia to have, it is part of a fictional story and is not real.

Chronophobia is number five on our list. Chronophobia is the irrational fear of time passing. Chronophobia ties in with chronomentrophobia which is the fear of clocks and watches.

Number four is phagophobia, fear of swallowing. People diagnosed with phagophobia express complaints about swallowing without any physical reason detected by inspection or lab tests. This can lead people to stop eating, causing malnutrition, and weight loss. Many people diagnosed with phagophobia eat soft or liquid foods.

The third phobia on our list is omphalophobia, originating from the Greek word “omphalo” meaning navel and phobia meaning fear. Omphalophobia is the fear of belly buttons. People do not like to look at or touch belly buttons and some people don’t like seeing others touch their own belly buttons.

Number two is ablutophobia, the fear of bathing, washing, and cleaning. This is most common in younger children, but some adults experience ablutophobia.

Number one on our crazy list is phobophobia,  the phobia of phobias. People diagnosed with this often have anxiety about phobias. Phobophobia is associated with anxiety disorders.

These ten phobias are just some of the craziest phobias out there. There are tons more crazy phobias of things that you never thought someone would fear. Some of the most common phobias are claustrophobia, the fear of confined spaces, and acrophobia, the fear of heights. To find more information on phobias visit https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/phobias-list/.  

About the Writer
Jazmine Cook, Journalist

I am a junior who enjoys taking pictures. This is my first year at PVHS and also my first year in the journalism program. After high school I am joining the military for four years and then I will be getting my degrees in photography, journalism and psychology.  

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Top Ten Weirdest Phobias”

1. Madison Dunn on May 11th, 2018 8:10 am

Some of these phobias are actually ridiculous. It’s weird that some people can be afraid of things like clocks.

2. Alyssa Greenway on May 11th, 2018 8:11 am

I really enjoyed this article, a lot of these I would have never thought would be a thing. All of these truly made me laugh at the fact people are very ridiculous sometimes. You had a strong use of diction and examples that provided insight on each individual phobia.

3. Hezekiah Lubas on May 11th, 2018 8:23 am

I love number one I wonder how rare it is for some one get anxiety from a phobia

4. Dominic Juranty on May 11th, 2018 8:24 am

I’m not particularly terrified of anything, but I hate public speaking. It’s just not my forte, but this article was very informative and intelligently worded.

5. Karley Broadhead on May 11th, 2018 1:59 pm

I found this article to be really entertaining although some of the phobias seem a bit absurd. Absurd and oddly specific. It is weird that people can be afraid of such things, but I think everyone has something they fear that they don’t publicly express.

6. Damia Owens on May 11th, 2018 1:59 pm

All of these truly made me laugh too but Some phobias are actually ridiculous. It’s weird that some people can be afraid of things like but did you know that phobia typically results in a rapid onset of fear and is present for more than six months.

7. Kenya VanderBeek on May 11th, 2018 2:01 pm

I didn’t even know that half of those even existed. It’s pretty crazy that there are so many things people can be afraid of.

8. Andrew Mosley on May 11th, 2018 2:06 pm

This is really weird. Being afraid of some of these is funny and unbelievable. But I have a phobia of trucks now so I can’t really talk about being scared of certain things.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

Is it Round?

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

Women’s Rights

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

Ways to breeze through your first year of high school (Tips and Advice)

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

The extinction of books?

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

We Forget

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

Hurricane Florence

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

Who are the people in the halls?

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

Disney Versus Netflix

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

Pixar Homecoming

• Top Ten Weirdest Phobias

Featured

Bravery of a Branch Manager

Top Ten Weirdest Phobias