Who are the people in the halls?

Kenya Vanderbeek, Journalist

Nye County School District – Human Resource Department states that Hall Monitors are assigned 16 essential duties: Monitors must oversee the campus facilities (e.g., restrooms, library, study hall, cafeteria, parking lots, ect.), assist in preventing problems that may occur on campus and other areas, wear visible identification daily.

They also have to correct minor student misbehavior and reports extreme violations, intercede as necessary, prepare incident reports (e.g., referrals, witness statements), and monitor student movement on, to, and from the campus before and after school. 

The work of a Hall Monitor can be exhausting as the requirements call for ambitious physical. Hall monitors often walk for long periods, help teachers, and even physically separate fights.

They are permitted to enter restrooms for serious matters such as someone fainted, a fight, or something of violent.

Regardless of weather conditions, whether if it’s 106 degrees or 40 degrees, monitors are required to spend long periods of time outside and chaperon students as well as escorting students from class.

CJ is one of the two hall monitors here at PVHS who take on the responsibility of overseeing 1200 students in 3 buildings. She has been for the past 2 years. CJ’s day is filled with many tasks, as she has to check in all arriving buses till 8:00 and is marked accountable to lock up the bus entrance, front doors of the school, gym doors, lunchroom, and gate.

Afterwards she sweeps the building for rebellious students and has to take charge in many situations where students are disruptive,  ditching, dressed inappropriately, unsafe that can result in two ways: either the student(s) complies or refuses which will lead to a report or even a referral.

Because she has to watch over the students in detention and lunches as well as watch classrooms allowing teachers to run errands leaving every minute of her day full.

Officer Tolle is also assigned to monitor student movement throughout the day. Not only does he increase the feel of safety in the school but deals with serious crime such as assault, pornograpgy, reckless driving which can result in a car being booted or towed. His schedule rotates around Nye Country in South Amargosa.  

Officer Tolle has been present since the first day of school and will be here from time on. Fortunately we have trained, experienced, hall monitors to continue to keep the school the way a schools should be kept… safe.  

About the Writer
Kenya Vanderbeek, Journalist

I love playing soccer and basketball. I enjoy Interact Club and have six siblings. I want to be nurse in the future.