Is it Round?

Bryana Supe, Journalist

The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you,” says Neil deGrasse Tyson, a American astrophysicist, on the show Salvation, Nova ScienceNow, and StarTalk.

The earth,  it has been around for about 4.543 billion years old. This leads to many theories about the shape of it.

Many people think the Greeks thought the earth was flat, but the Greeks really did not. Pythagoras, an ancient Greek, was the first one to come up with this theory around 500 B.C. He reasoned that if the Mo

on is round, the Earth must be too. Eratosthenes, a Greek mathematician, studied the shadow patterns to determine the circumference of the earth exactly.

In medieval times, people thought the Earth was flat. Current Flat-Earthers are trying to build a rocket to launch into space to see if the Earth is really “round,” like NASA pictures indicate.

Some flat Earth theories are focused on religion and some are related to science, however lots of people won’t take science or religion’s word for it. They need to see for themselves.

In the bible, it is said that the Earth has 4 corners in Ezekiel 7:2 and Isaiah 11:12. This would not be possible if the Earth is a sphere because spheres do not have corners. This may persuade people to believe that the Earth is not a sphere but something else.

“The United Nations are lying to us and that is why there are so many rules on visitations to Antarctica. After you reach one point, you are not allowed go any further. They are trying to stop people from seeing that the Earth is flat and we could fall off,” says Hevin Castro, a freshmen at PVHS.

Bobby Ray Simmons Jr. (B.O.B.), an American rapper, had a debate with Tyson on Twitter, about the flat earth theory.

B.O.B. took a picture on the roof of Billboard’s Winterfest at Park City Live in Park City, Utah on January 22, 2015. The caption read “the cities in the background are approximately 16 miles apart. Where is the curve? Please explain.”

Tyson then replied, “listen B.O.B once and for all. The Earth looks flat because 1) You are not far away at your size and 2) Your size isn’t large enough relative to Earth to notice any curvature at all.”

Scientist use the phrase “flat-Earther” for idiots. Scientist have plenty of ways why they think why the Earth is round.

“When a ship sails off toward the horizon, it doesn’t just get smaller until it’s not visible anymore. Instead, the hull seems to sink below the horizon first then the mast,” says Stephanie Pappas, Live Science Contributor.

Why is it that the higher you are the better you can see? This is because the of the way the Earth curves which you would not be able to see if the Earth is flat.

Time zones and Day and night cycles are another way used to prove the Earth is not flat. If the Earth was flat the Sun would shine on the whole planet but it does not so therefore the Earth is round and it tilts on its axis creating time zones and day and night.

NASA already claims to have pictures of the Earth called the “Blue Marble.” It is the most detailed true-color picture of the Earth which came from the crew on the Apollo 17, on December 7, 1972. Could this be false though? NASA 

could just be telling us what they want us to know, but it’s most-likely people’s silly overactive imagination at work.

About the Writer
Bryana Supe, Journalist

Bryana Supe is my birth name.I like quesadillas.