The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

Rules changed over summer now you must pass the ACT

Back to Article
Back to Article

The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

Students taking a test for high school.

Students taking a test for high school.

Getty Images

Students taking a test for high school.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Students taking a test for high school.

Emma Burgoin, Journalist

The ACT is a test for seniors and juniors at Pahrump Valley High School. However the ACT’s rules have changed over the summer without the students knowledge. Now, you have to pass the ACT’s. Why?

ACT’s were started during April which is the national test date. A variety of students did not even know the rules for the ACT’s. That’s not fair for the students. The ACT rule changed over the summer.

Nevada decided to let the students know that they needed to pass the ACT’s after they took the test. Students were mad. .The students who would not want to attend college, didn’t really need to have a passing score. Those students that were not going to college guessed on the ACT because they were told that the ACT would not count, as it was just a small test.

Why can’t the ACT’s be a choice?

The ACT’s can’t be a choice because the test scores rank the school. A school ranking system is a organized method that positions you in a certain order of students scores. This year the Nye County School District scores were terrible, An average passing score is a 20.8, The average score that we got was a 17.8 .

Students who did not pass, have to earn credits to make up the credits that they did not pass. Students are taking classes such as Language Arts, math, science, and electives

Extra classes are taking time away to make their senior year short. In PVHS during students senior year if you have the credits that you need you could leave the campus early. Now taking extra classes is making senior year stressful.

Mary Smith, a Senior at PVHS, said, “ Going in, I felt scared and nervous. I wasn’t sure I had enough time for each test.”

A variety of students were not ready to take the test. Students were also nervous before because they did not know what exactly is going to be on the ACT’s. After the test, a few of students felt accomplished and confident but other students felt they did not do good enough. Smith added “I felt confident I got most questions right and happy it was over.” But other students were prepared for test.  Emanuel, a senior at PVHS says, “I studied mathematics formula used in algebra and geometry, which helped me immensely during the math portion, without studying, I would have a difficult time answering some of the questions.”

Some students that didn’t pass the test,  could prepare for the ACT’s by reading the act prep book  in the library, also students could go online to ACT practice test websites such as  Students can prepare for Math, Science, Reading and Writing.

About the Writer
Emma Burgoin, Journalist

Hi my name is Emma Burgoin I am in a journalist for Trojan Tribune . I am in key club. I want to go to Harvard to be a lawyer.

1 Comment

One Response to “The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test”

1. Emma Crow on October 29th, 2018 10:46 am

Luckily I was not one of the students who suffered from the ACT mishap, but I know that there are many seniors this year who are paying the price for it. It was pretty messed up for the rules to be changed AFTER the test was taken, but maybe it can be an opportunity for students to learn to always do their best even if they aren’t necessarily required to. Over all, your article was very well written, keep up the good work! 🙂

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

PVHS News

Soccer Season Coming to an End

• PVHS News

Food Waste In America

• The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

Featured

Be Aware Not Scared

• The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

PVHS News

New Teachers

• Featured

Power Hour

• The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

Featured

Mock-Election at PVHS

• The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

PVHS News

Shmorgishborg of Sounds

• The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

PVHS News

The Tennis Team Takeoff!

• The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

Opinion

Fall Festival

• The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test

Featured

Who are the people in the halls?

The ACT test: You Must Pass This Test