Keep it Clean

Don’t throw your waste on the ground, throw it in the trash. Our janitors work hard to keep our school tidy.

Teresa Castro, Journalist

Students at lunch enjoying their meals.

It does not take any time to throw away trash, yet people still don’t throw it away. They might think that it’s just one little piece of trash, but imagine how many other people think like that. Little things add up. The janitors are the ones who have to clean up after everyone.

Pahrump Valley High School has some problems with keeping it tidy, but they are better than most schools. Of course there will be accidents, but it is not when students make a mess and not think twice of picking it up that is a problem. The students may not keep in mind how hard and how much work it is to keep this school tidy.

Ever wonder what the black blobs are on the sidewalk, stairways, and even under the desk? Well those are the candy you love to chew on. It is gum from over the years from students in the past and present. It would take a long period of time to scrape every piece of gum off the sidewalks, stairs, and under the desks. This is why they make rules about not chewing gum in schools but, you can still see places it is prohibited still have it everywhere.

Gum from previous and and past years blackening.

At lunchtime it is the best time for the students, but after it is over it is not the funnest time for the janitors. There will be spilled milk and food all over on floors and tables, especially by the salad bar area. Some students are so lazy they even leave their trays and trash.  Elijah Quinteros, a janitor who works during lunch describes the mess “ It is better than last years”. His worse experience in his 4 years was to clean up rice.

Paula Ault is a janitor at Pahrump Valley High. She has been working as a janitor for 20 years. To improve the school she said “ Kids just need to pick up their mess a little bit better, most of the kids do but there is that 1% that doesn’t.” Out of her 20 years her worse experience is when some students punched a hole in the cafeteria window and put a goose in in it and the goose pooped everywhere.

Paula Ault smiling for the camera.

So next time you throw your trash on the ground or accidentally drop it please, pick it up. We want to keep our school nice and clean. If we want people that do not go to school to respect our school, then we need to respect our school in every single way.