Block Scheduling

Future block scheduling for PVHS

Maddie Dunn, Journalist

Block scheduling is a system of class scheduling typically used in middle schools and high schools. It replaces the tradition six to seven classes a day at 40-50 minutes each and does longer classes where teachers meet with students fewer times during the week.

There are three basic types of block scheduling. They are alternate day schedule, 4×4 plan, and the trimester plan.

Examples of how a 4×4 schedule and a Modified Block schedule would be set up

The alternate day schedule is where  classes would be held every other day for extended periods of time.

The 4×4 plan is when students would meet ninety minute blocks every day for four quarters. It would be four classes a day for four quarters.

The trimester plan where there are two or three courses every sixty days to earn six to nine credits per year.

An example of Trimester plan

In an interview with Mrs. Ehrheart, the new principal at PVHS, she said, “ I would like to see a modified version of the ‘Alternate Day Schedule’ where teachers see students every day and having regular days on Monday and Friday and alternating blocks the rest of the week.”

A picture of Principle Erheart , the new principle of PVHS.

When asked if Mrs. Ehrheart thought block scheduling would be beneficial to the school as a whole, she responded, “I do. One of the biggest complaints I’m getting from teachers is just by the time you get into a rich discussion or big project or even a lab, it’s time to go. Using a block, teachers can actually work through things and have deeper discussions with their classes, students can finish a lab. Math teachers tend to be a little nervous about block but, [some] of the schools I’ve  worked at in the last 15 years have used block scheduling; some effectively, some not so effectively.”

Rebecka Willing, a senior, who formed a petition two years ago to start block scheduling added, “ It would be very beneficial [for] individual learning in any class. More one-on-one with the students. Also longer time to understand the homework which also includes more study time.”

After asking Willing what the results were of her original petition she said nothing was done and no steps were taken to look into block scheduling for PVHS two years ago. None of the administration were willing to pursue it.

Mrs. Erheart has mentioned a few obstacles that the school will face. The biggest concerns are going to be having enough staff to run all the classes necessary and possibly lunch and how lunch would work. Debating if lunch would go back to one lunch for everyone or how they would split classes to have the separate lunches we have now.

A picture of Drew Karle a sophomore at PVHS.

After talking to Drew Karle, a sophmore who would be affected by the change of schedule, he said, “I’m not looking forward to it. Block schedule will be really hard to balance and keep track of everything. I think it will be boring to sit in the same class for [90 minutes].”

There are many opposing views  when it comes to block scheduling. I believe that it would help the school as a whole and would provide students with a better learning system, giving them a chance to better understand what’s going on in their classes.

One other benefit for students is it gives them the chance to take more credits during their high school career which at the very least gets their GPA higher and gives them better grades.

Block scheduling is just an idea that could be brought to the school. Nothing has been set in stone just ideas being tossed about.