Around PVHS: The Trojan Trunk

The PVHS Trojan Trunk is here every day to help you with whatever your needs may be. Located in the first building, it has plenty of items for you to choose from. If you ever need anything, head on down. Don’t be shy.

Zachary Mathews, Journalist

You’re sitting in Art class. There’s classical music playing in the background as you gently brush the paintbrush on the paper. It’s peaceful. At least it was, until you sneezed. Your elbow flies into the paint jar, knocking yellow paint all over your jeans. You try to clean it off, but no luck. To make things worse, it’s only first period. But don’t panic. Just head on down to the Trojan Trunk.

The Trojan Trunk is open Monday through Thursday from 7:45 am to 1 pm, and 8 am to 2 pm on Fridays. It’s a resource that helps kids get any kind of materials they may need for school. It provides all types of clothing, hygiene products, backpacks and shoes, school supplies, and before COVID, snacks. It is run by Mary Martinez, a member of AmeriCorps. She has been working there for roughly a year. When asked why she was working here, she stated “It was just part of the job. But I don’t really feel like I’m working when I’m helping out the students here”. Ms. Martinez has a message for any kids struggling at this time: “If you’re struggling or need anything at all, come on down. We don’t bite”.

The Trojan Trunk also has a student helper, McKenna Abbiss. She is currently helping as much as she can down at the Trojan Trunk. She does laundry, folds clothes, organizes, and also welcomes kids and helps them find what they need. She wants to be a therapist when she grows up and is currently taking college classes here at the high school. When asked if the job is ever awkward, she replied with “ It can get awkward. Kids that I had classes with would come in, or kids needing items such as underwear. But no matter how awkward, I’m always ready to help”.

The corporation that both Mary and McKenna are from is called AmeriCorps. It was founded in 1993 and its overall purpose is to end poverty. The company does all kinds of humanitarian aid projects, such as food banks, charities, and much more. Poverty is a huge problem in our world today: 150 million people are predicted to be in poverty by the end of the coronavirus pandemic. Each year, 1.5 million people die, more than half under the age of five. More people die from living in poverty than malaria, and almost as much from tuberculosis. Every day, AmeriCorps joins the battlefield to end poverty worldwide.

No matter the occurrence, whether it’s spilled paint or you lost your other shoe, you can head on down to the Trojan Trunk, located in the first building, Room 2. It’s open five days a week and can help you out with whatever you need.