Around PVHS: Military Life

What is military life really like? Are PVHS’ JROTC students aware and prepared for such life. Every young adult thinking about joining any military branch should be aware of all the struggles, benefits, and life lessons that military life gives a person.

Becca McElroy, Journalist

What goes through a person’s mind when they decide to join the military? College, war, honor, escape, danger, pride? There is a vast collection of reasons a person could join the military. This decision should not be taken lightly, even if you’re just joining for college and insurance benefits. You never know what could happen while you serve. 

Lieutenant Colonel John Mckinney, PVHS JROTC instructor, is very devoted to his class and his students. Whilst I was in the classroom Mckinney talked to me about what he taught in his class and gave explanations for every poster that was on the walls. His room is organized, the posters are helpful, and he makes sure that his students are on the right track at all times. He applies his thirty-three years of military experience to his class and constantly gives them advice. I took the liberty of asking him what advice he’d give his students as they move forward in their military career, his response was “You can go as far as you want to if you are willing to do what is necessary.” 

Military experience provides a number of opportunities and assets. Most young people who are considering joining are aware of this. When sophomore JROTC student Ivan Crisler was asked why he wanted to join the military he said, “so they can pay for my college.” I also asked junior JROTC student Noemi Mendoza why she wanted to join the military to which she replied, “I feel like it would be something good.”  This school’s JROTC students are not oblivious to the legal or personal benefits that military life offers. The students that I spoke to all seemed particularly ambitious and enthusiastic about the class and where it would take them. 

I asked multiple students if they thought they’d be prepared if they had to enlist in the military right now and all of their answers were different. Most students said that they would not be prepared. The students are very aware of the fact that they would not be prepared to join the military, which is extremely impressive and mature compared to most people when they first join the military. Many young adults are unaware of the dangers and life lessons that come with joining the military. 

To better understand the struggles and benefits that the military brings to a person’s life I spoke to Sergeant First Class Michael (Mike) McElroy, who is about to retire after over thirty years of service. McElroy gave a very compelling and emotional story, telling his story and how the military played a very big part in who he and his family are today. Michael has been involved in the military in some way since 1990. He was an army brat growing up, always moving from place to place. He settled enough to go to high school in Germany where he joined the wrestling team and became extremely passionate about it. Eventually, his grades caught up to him and he was forced to leave the team. Mike joined the army after graduating and later joined the National Guard. When I spoke with him he said “I was angry about my performance in school and wanted a way to redeem myself.” Although he enrolled as an angry 18-year-old he continued to serve for 17 more years when his close friend, Sergeant Bradley King, lost his life in Iraq. This loss served as a wake-up call, the job was not going to be easy and it was not exactly safe. 

McElroy served for eight more years and then attended a police academy and became a Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper. Still in the National Guard, Mike applies the lessons he learned in the military to his life now. After thirty years of service McElroy has decided to retire. The time is right, he feels as though he has done everything he could to live up to the name McElroy and has decided that his family has had enough of the army life struggle. 

I felt that McElroy’s story was an important one to tell because so many young adults join the military as angry 18-year-olds or only think about the benefits that they could get without thinking about the stress and struggle the military could bring. Pahrump Valley High School’s JROTC students are fully aware of these struggles and are still very enthusiastic about serving our country and I, for one, am very proud of that.