PVHS Football Enthusiasm

Pahrump Valley High School football is currently in session. COVID and lack of supporters is showing us a decline of enthusiasm at our games. Can we change this and get our school spirit back?

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pxfuel.com%2Fen%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Damerican%2Bfootball%2B-%2Bsport+++++++

Kalifornia Jacquez, Journalist

Pahrump Valley High School enthusiasm has changed, what can we do to get our school spirit back? The PVHS football season is about to end, and some have noticed that there has been a change in the levels of enthusiasm for our games. What has caused this change, and what can we do to improve the enthusiasm of our school? 

With football coming to an end, some of our students and staff have noticed a change in enthusiasm for football. When talking to some of our students and staff, one thing remains the same, there has definitely been some sort of change. A student who regularly attends football games, says,“ I have noticed a decline in the enthusiasm that our football games have. I don’t think that the games are being promoted enough.” She has noticed the lack of enthusiasm, and proposes, what she thinks, might be a reason. Our student council advisor, Robin Williams, states, “If you look at the number of people who came to the homecoming game, compared to previous homecoming games, and looking at the stands, it’s obvious to me that the numbers were down.” He recognizes the lack of people attending the football games. Even the numbers show us that our enthusiasm for our school football games are down.

Coach Craig Rieger

COVID, for the last almost 2 years, has really had an impact on society and the world as a whole. This is something to consider when thinking about the enthusiasm of PVHS for football. Football coach, Craig Rieger, reports, “We had boys that had to go through quarantine and protocol, and we had three quarters of our football staff gone.” With that, many players and staff gone, keeping a football team together must have been a challenge. Tannor Hanks, a football player, claims, “Due to COVID, a lot of players’ enthusiasm dropped at the beginning.” With not many players being able to play, and player enthusiasm being down, this is a huge explanation for why enthusiasm for the football games might be down. The football team is the whole reason for enthusiasm at our games, they make up the games to begin with. So, for their enthusiasm to be down, it has to have an impact on anyone attending the games.

Mr. Robin Williams

Since the enthusiasm at our games is down, we should look to improve it, but how? A student who does not attend football games, Isabel Molina, claims, “I would go to the football games if my friends also went.” Knowing this, it seems like just a matter of getting more people to attend our games, but how do we do this? Williams states, “We are very much open to the ideas of the students, if we’ve got kids here that went to a different school, and they did this really cool thing, come tell us about it.” Our school is open to finding different ways to promote more of our community coming to the games. It’s just a matter of doing it, which is now the goal. 

Raising the enthusiasm at our school football games is important. It is important to support our peers who play sports at our school, and to show up for them and their games. Going to football games, and showing spirit, is just one way to do this.