How Social Media Can Mess With Your Self-esteem

Is your self-esteem affected by social media?

Jazmine Cook, Journalist

What does self-esteem mean to you? According to Merriam-Websters dictionary self-esteem is the confidence and satisfaction in oneself or self respect.

Today, social media is very popular. Everyone from elderly people down to elementary school students use it. It is a great way to stay connected with people and the world. Even though it may seem like social media is a great place, there are quite a few negative effects.

We base our “popularity” on how many Facebook friends we have, or how many followers we have on Instagram, and the amount of trophies and our score on Snapchat.

Valkenburg, Peter, and Schouten, researchers for adolescents well-being and social self-esteem, interviewed 881 Dutch children between the ages of 10 and 19 and measured their reactions to others social media pages, and their self-esteem. 49.3% reacted negatively to others social media profiles. 28.4% reacted positively to others social media.

Heather Edwards Sr., Robbi Corry Jr., Rachel Buckner Jr. and Beverly Ehart Jr. (From left to right)

Beverly Ehart, a PVHS Junior,commented on social media and a person’s self-esteem.“Social media shows people an idea of beauty and tells them how to ‘fix’ themselves if they don’t fit into the idea of being beautiful.”

Making young girls think that they need to compare themselves and live up to the standards of others, can cause them to develop eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. These disorders cause people to try to lose weight by making themselves sick after eating or by not eating at all.

If you or someone you know suffers from an eating disorder there are many sites you can visit and you can call 800-931-2237.

According to a survey called “Children, Teens, Media and Body Image,”  35% of teens worry about being tagged in unattractive pictures, 27% felt stressed about how they look in a picture that has been posted, and 22% felt bad about themselves if one of their pictures was ignored.     

According to common Sense Media the board of directors for this survey are Harvey Anderson,  Lynne Benioff, Reveta Bowers, Julián Castro, and Ann Pao Chen.

Social media gives people many feelings of a sense of relief and comfort, yet it also makes you feel as though you aren’t good enough. It makes you feel like you need to be something you aren’t.

Although social media affects many, there are people out there who don’t care about what social media has to say. They know that even if they don’t look like a size zero model, they are beautiful.

Irene Tucker, a PVHS Senior, said, “I don’t worry about how I look in posted pictures because that’s me. It’s not someone I pretend to be.”

I think that it’s smart to not let something posted on social media define who you are, but that is easier said than done. Sometimes people just can’t help but compare themselves to others and they can’t see that they are beautiful the way they are.

Not only does social media cause self-esteem issues, but it can also cause a lack of social skills. Everyone is on their phones and on their social media, not communicating the right way. They think that instant messaging is the right way to communicate when you should put your phones down and communicate with people face to face.

I think that there are many bright sides to social media, but the negatives are far more severe than the positives. How can we fix this? We can stop making people feel the need to compare themselves and show them that they are beautiful the way they are. We should stop bringing down the self-esteem of others and start making them feel better about themselves.

My question is why do we let social media set these standards? Why do we care what people think about how we look?  Everyone is beautiful in their own way. Even if you aren’t as thin as a twig or have the clearest face, you are perfect the way you are, so stop changing yourself to fit everyone else’s standards of a perfect person.