A Series of Unfortunate Events…in AP Classes

Jordyn Larsen, Journalist

Homework. Project. Test. Repeat. This is the daily life of a typical AP student. As bewildering as it sounds, this process hones a collegial skill set, so why not start early in high school?

For those who do not know, AP stands for advanced placement. These pre-college classes are designed to provide young adults with preliminary knowledge for their upcoming years in college.

Students with raw talent and an above-average skill set in specific academic subjects are chosen by the teachers to engage in avid debates concerning topics beyond average high school education. Junior Karley Broadhead, an AP Language student says, “Already, [AP English] has improved my writing and I’ve learned to write a lot of information in a short amount of time and space.”

Of course, the requirements of any AP class is never to be taken lightly; there is a summer assignment that must be completed or else the student will not qualify for that given AP class. However, some teachers are more merciful than others and will allow a student to complete their assignment with a longer amount of time.

Most AP classes are notorious for having excessive amounts of homework, although they are not  difficult, just very time consuming. “In all of my AP classes, I have at least 45 minutes to an hours worth of homework,” says Emanuel Ribero, a junior AP language student. Even though homework takes up most of a student’s time at home, it also allows for less time for them to poke their noses into trouble during their free time.

Despite the fact that every AP class is focused on a specific academic topic, each class is a college prep course. All students are expected to behave in ways out of the ordinary, such as knowing what to do without the teacher’s consent and using black and blue pens only. But hey, at least they will not enroll in a college and arrive clueless on the first day.

Anyone who thinks students in AP have it easy are crazy; however, anyone who thinks they do have fun are 100% correct. In these classes, the students are allowed to openly argue and debate on topics only referenced to official documents. After all, who wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to voice their full opinions in the middle of class with the teacher’s full consent?

AP is offered to all juniors and seniors, with an exception of a few freshman, fully displaying every students’ full potential in high school. AP freshman Shailynn Winters said, “It’s challenging but enjoyable, because the teachers ask a lot but for good reasons.”  For anyone who thinks these advanced college prep courses are meant for the upperclassmen, think again.

From a teacher’s perspective, AP may seem like even more work not necessarily because of the excessive amounts of homework, but because of the excessive amounts of thinking while grading the student’s assignments, essays, and projects. “The most challenging thing about being an AP teacher is finding a happy medium in your curriculum but also keeping in mind that I’m dealing with high school students with less maturity than a college student,” says Mr. Larssen, a junior and senior AP teacher. AP helps students mature educationally and intellectually, but the students are still somewhat childish and have not grown into full adults yet because they still use the word “lit” in their vocabulary and pick fights over third-grade level name-calling.

So, many may wonder, how does an AP class in high school affect a person’s college application and future career? Well, of course, it piques the interests of college officials and even though it may be more typing or writing, it includes a lot more academic information about the student themselves. Also, it looks really good to most parents and makes them want provide them with more college loans right out of their pockets.

AP can be inspiring as well as completely terrifying for those in their first year. Students planning on attending a college should think of it as a taste of real life at the university of their dreams. So, instead of fear and dismay try on a look of enthusiasm and excitement; it’s really not as bad as it seems. You never know; you could learn a thing or two.

About the Writer
Jordyn Larsen, Journalist

As a former band member, I am extremely passionate about music and I love to dance. Currently, I am on the PVHS Dance Team and I play the clarinet, oboe and a little bit of percussion. I also love writing and drawing, because it’s the best way to express my ideas to the world.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “A Series of Unfortunate Events…in AP Classes”

1. Sabrina Jaynes on November 22nd, 2017 9:20 am

I agree with a majority of your article, but the idea that “you can openly debate in any AP class” is wrong. The only class I can do this in is Larssen’s. In others, I am shut down if try to argue with a topic, either way, great article.

2. Mairen Thomassian on November 22nd, 2017 9:24 am

You successfully highlight the expectations, work load, and amount of time AP classes can consume. “Students planning on attending college should think of it as a taste of real life at the university.” This is 100% true. These classes are meant to prepare you with the expectations of college work/life to give you a head start against your future classmates and yourself.

3. Alyssa Greenway on November 22nd, 2017 9:24 am

I really loved how you said, “Homework. Project. Test. Repeat. This is the daily life of a typical AP student. As bewildering as it sounds, this process hones a collegian skill set, so why not start early in high school” because it really pulls in the reader and make them feel as if they know. This also describes how AP is difficult but it is very helpful for the future and people should try it out. I love this it was well written and i look forward to your next story.

4. Emma Deroque on November 22nd, 2017 9:26 am

The article was very well written, and it provided a very accurate representation of what it is like to be an AP student. It expressed the difficulty of an AP class, but still provided the benefits that once can receive from the class.

5. Saul Bautista on November 22nd, 2017 9:32 am

The title is captivating and humorous which is a great start to the article. The article is very relatable as most AP students completed the dreadful summer assignment and know the homework is “not difficult, but very time consuming” as multiple hours are spent completing assignments. Overall, the article is very informative and entertaining, good job!.

6. Samantha Thompson on November 22nd, 2017 9:33 am

Jordyn,
    You have elegant diction and a superb opener, enjoyable comments from AP students and a good amount of explanation. You have a very fitting title that caught my interest and fits the article well. I enjoy that you included a few paragraphs on how AP classes relate and can lead to college. Well written, amazing article.

7. William O'Rourke on November 22nd, 2017 9:57 am

As an AP student, I can concur wholeheartedly. While the homework can be “excessive” sometimes, the class is very enjoyable and debating is always fun. I have learned, in the short time I have been in AP, how to write better and faster, and I have, with help of my teacher and classmates, expanded upon my vocabulary to use more idiosyncratic (unique) words in my everyday life. the article was well written; however, the title may not have been the best choice for it. The title sounds as though some hidden tragedy struck the AP classes (possibly homework?) though I do commend the vocabulary and the way it was crafted. In short, though AP could be intimidating, it is helpful and the article was well written.

8. Emanuel Ribeiro on November 22nd, 2017 9:58 am

AP classes have a tendency to be extremely harsh on homework. Many of these classes drive students with piles of assignments to strengthen their abilities in the respective course. Due to these classes being college prep courses, they are “notorious for having excessive amounts of homework” and are usually time consuming, taking up to an hour to finish. While the assignments may not be difficult, they do test your abilities in the course by forcing you to apply critical thinking.

9. Cierra Reid on November 22nd, 2017 10:03 am

Speaking from personal experience, an AP class is not necessarily difficult when it comes to doing class work and homework; however, it can be challenging to “voice their full opinions” in front of an entire class. At least, a handful of students believe the majority of the class are intellectually superior to them, and adding that to anxiety or stage fright can cause AP students to clam up; causing students to not “voice their.. opinions,” especially, in front of an entire class full of their peers. One or two people do not speak for the whole group and not everyone has the exact same opinion.

10. Amanda Cavey on November 22nd, 2017 10:04 am

According to the article, AP classes are only “Homework. Project. Test. Repeat.” I do not see either of the Advanced Placement classes that I am in as being that monotonous. While at times the work may seem repetitive, there are variations in assignments and discussions daily. They are difficult classes that require mind power constantly, but in the end they prove to be worth the extra effort.

11. Kara Charles on November 22nd, 2017 10:30 am

AP classes are made for students that go above and beyond; however , the AP students might not be able ” to have a little trouble,” they are expected to be able to tell wrong from right. Some AP students have hard times keeping their work nice and neat ; but , they always finish their work on time for them to turn in.

12. Karley Broadhead on November 27th, 2017 2:06 pm

I think this article is very well written because it goes into depth about the difficulties of AP class. Yet many believe it is extremely demanding but not many know about how it can be fun and beneficial at the same time. Some students do not realize that you have to be on your toes and get work done as soon as possible because AP teachers do not tolerate excuses as much as they might for regular classes.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A Series of Unfortunate Events…in AP Classes

Featured

Is it Round?

Featured

Women’s Rights

Featured

Ways to breeze through your first year of high school (Tips and Advice)

Featured

The extinction of books?

Featured

We Forget

Featured

Hurricane Florence

Featured

Who are the people in the halls?

Featured

Disney Versus Netflix

Featured

Pixar Homecoming

Featured

Bravery of a Branch Manager