School Sport Scholarships

What a sport scholarship is and tips to get one.

Girls basketball team

Girls basketball team

Girls basketball team

Jeremiah Oloff, Journalist

People in High School all like different sports but there are the most common favorite sports and the least common sport within our school. The sports we have here at PVHS are baseball, basketball, football, soccer, golf, dance, cheerleading, softball, wrestling, track and field, and cross country.

What would your favorite sport be? Cameron Varnell freshman at PVHS said “Football because there’s skill and precision in the sport.” That is one student’s opinion but there is many other students that may like the same sport or like other sports we have.

Getting a scholarship for a sport that you are good at is a big turning point for some people. But there are many other aspects to getting one, like your academic progress in school so you can play for the team. People just can’t be good at the sport and get a scholarship. You have to pay attention in school to keep your grades up.

Mr. Hopkins, the P.E. teacher at PVHS and multi-sport coach, said, “The best scholarship you can get is academic [scholarship] because that will take you further in your life after school but a sports scholarship is still a good thing to get.”

Mr. Hopkins is right, he may be a P.E. teacher but he doesn’t just think physical activities are the best for scholarships. He will tell any student worry about their grades first.

If you were to get a sports scholarship the best one you could get would be for golf. Because you can play that sport longer than any other sport. Some people who play golf are Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Fred Couples and they can’t play a different sport. You also can’t blame your mistakes you make on a team. Your team is you and your ball.

Have you ever wondered why only 2% of students get scholarships? Hopkins says, “Many people try to get one but there is only so many spots open. Every kid was the best on his team but when they get to collage, no one is the best anymore. They all have almost the same amount of skill there.”

Some keys on how to get a scholarship is to get good grades, be good at the sport you play and enjoy what you play so who is trying to get one it would be amazing for you to get it.

1 Comment

One Response to “School Sport Scholarships”

1. Jordyn Larsen on May 11th, 2018 2:05 pm

I am a dancer and it is honestly my dream to get a scholarship for dancing. One of my greatest regrets is that I did not start sooner and I know it will decrease my chances of getting into a good school. But I believe scholarships will go to those who truly work for it and that goes for all sports.
    I think this articles was very well written and I agree that a person cannot blame their own mistakes on their team. It all comes down to what you bring to the table.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sports

Golf Season

• School Sport Scholarships

Sports

Softball Makes Playoffs

• School Sport Scholarships

Opinion

My Run-ins with Track

• Sports

Boys Basketball

• Arts and Entertainment

The New Olympics

• School Sport Scholarships

Sports

Girls Soccer Goes to State

• School Sport Scholarships

Sports

Pahrump Fall-ball Little League

• Sports

Is Cheerleading a Sport?

• School Sport Scholarships

Sports

Preseason Girls Basketball

• School Sport Scholarships

Sports

Athletes Go to Hafen Elementary

School Sport Scholarships