The Dangers of Snapchat

Don’t say anything online that you wouldn’t want plastered on a billboard with your face on it. – Erin Bury (the Managing Director at Eighty-Eight, a Toronto-based creative communications agency)

Alyssa Greenway, Journalist

Snapchat is an application for teenagers that allows people to follow and send photos to each other and document their life at anytime. This app became very popular in 2012 when it made a big breakthrough.

Snapchat was developed by Evan Spiegel and Bobby Murphy, two Stanford University students that were convinced that emojis were not enough to transmit emotion that a person was trying to produce in a single text message. Its use was made for everyone, but slowly it leaned more towards teens because adults aren’t on their phone as much as millennials.

The only issues with Snapchat is that it’s very dangerous. On this app they have a feature where anyone that is on your account can see your exact location using the map built in it. This allows cyberstalking from random people.

Even people can get around the screenshotting issue by using another phone, and then blasting your information all over the place. This leads to bullying, harassment, discrimination, and criticizing one another which could lead to more suicide being people could post nudes, personal information, and more.

This location setting on Snapchat shows precisely where people are almost exactly which could lead to predators stalking.  The best move would be to turn into Ghost mode which does not show your location and turn the account to private.

For teens and children who are under aged should have their parents check their settings to insure that they are right, and no one can find them that way, and that they are not adding random people they don’t know.

Many people believe that Snapchat shouldn’t have this ability because many could get kidnapped, robbed, or even killed if they are a person of interest to anyone. Truly this app is very dangerous if not used properly.

Honestly, children who are under the age of 15 shouldn’t have this app unless they know the guidelines and how dangerous it really is. Even then they shouldn’t have this because most are not mature or aware of what could really happen.

As much as this app may be dangerous there are good attributes that benefits many. It helps keep in touch with people that may have moved away, or even to receive information via picture.

A great feature that this has is it also tracks how long you’ve been talking to someone as long as you talk everyday. It’s a fun app with new filters everyday that many enjoy.

Social media and the Internet in general is dangerous. Just remember everything you post never really goes away, so be careful what you post especially since people could use it against you in the long run.