The Dangers of Snapchat

Don’t say anything online that you wouldn’t want plastered on a billboard with your face on it. - Erin Bury (the Managing Director at Eighty-Eight, a Toronto-based creative communications agency)

The app of Snapchat.

The app of Snapchat.

The app of Snapchat.

Alyssa Greenway, Journalist

Snapchat is an application for teenagers that allows people to follow and send photos to each other and document their life at anytime. This app became very popular in 2012 when it made a big breakthrough.

Snapchat was developed by Evan Spiegel and Bobby Murphy, two Stanford University students that were convinced that emojis were not enough to transmit emotion that a person was trying to produce in a single text message. Its use was made for everyone, but slowly it leaned more towards teens because adults aren’t on their phone as much as millennials.

The only issues with Snapchat is that it’s very dangerous. On this app they have a feature where anyone that is on your account can see your exact location using the map built in it. This allows cyberstalking from random people.

Even people can get around the screenshotting issue by using another phone, and then blasting your information all over the place. This leads to bullying, harassment, discrimination, and criticizing one another which could lead to more suicide being people could post nudes, personal information, and more.

This location setting on Snapchat shows precisely where people are almost exactly which could lead to predators stalking.  The best move would be to turn into Ghost mode which does not show your location and turn the account to private.

For teens and children who are under aged should have their parents check their settings to insure that they are right, and no one can find them that way, and that they are not adding random people they don’t know.

Many people believe that Snapchat shouldn’t have this ability because many could get kidnapped, robbed, or even killed if they are a person of interest to anyone. Truly this app is very dangerous if not used properly.

Honestly, children who are under the age of 15 shouldn’t have this app unless they know the guidelines and how dangerous it really is. Even then they shouldn’t have this because most are not mature or aware of what could really happen.

As much as this app may be dangerous there are good attributes that benefits many. It helps keep in touch with people that may have moved away, or even to receive information via picture.

A great feature that this has is it also tracks how long you’ve been talking to someone as long as you talk everyday. It’s a fun app with new filters everyday that many enjoy.

Social media and the Internet in general is dangerous. Just remember everything you post never really goes away, so be careful what you post especially since people could use it against you in the long run.   

6 Comments

6 Responses to “The Dangers of Snapchat”

1. Jazmine Cook on May 2nd, 2018 8:34 am

Snapchat is my favorite app but it is very dangerous. If you don’t use it properly anything can happen. I’ve heard of people who have had their pictures leaked because they think if they send them through Snapchat that people won’t send them out. People need to be aware of the dangers of social media and use it in a safe way. The article is very well written and has a lot of useful and helpful information.

[Reply]

2. Jazmyne Turner on May 2nd, 2018 8:35 am

Snapchat is a very popular app now but soon or later will get boring. Like you stated how people can post nudes and find out where you live . That’s all you do on snap chat post pictures and text we can do that on other app to. I do have a snap chat but I’m barely ever on it and my location is on ghost mode but its a stupid app to me.

[Reply]

3. Destany Ivy on May 2nd, 2018 1:48 pm

I agree on the fact that snapchat can be dangerous, and lead to things one might not expect. However, teens, kids, and adults on the app should check their settings, and not allow just anyone to see their posts and location. They should know their right and wrong when sending or posting on snap. So if something happens, the blame should be completely on the person not the app. But I think this article was well written and let ones that may not know of the dangers.

[Reply]

4. Emma Deroque on May 2nd, 2018 1:52 pm

This is a subject that people definitely need to be more aware of. I’ve dealt with problems due to Snapchat and screenshotting before, and am currently trying to help a friend going through a similar issue. Your article was very well written and I hope more than just other journalism students read it and take your advice.

[Reply]

5. Sabrina Jaynes on May 4th, 2018 1:51 pm

I believe the app itself is not dangerous at all, under the original guidelines. An issue stated in the article is how children have gained a hold of the app, which can lead to adult content or dangerous situations for them, but the app was not intended for children. The app can not be blamed for children going on their own and downloading the app. This is a much wider issue that must be dealt with separately. Another issue is claimed to be the dangerous privacy aspects of the app for the current generation, but for any person willing to download an app labeled as “social” then they are willing to give up this information. It should be common sense that anything posted online, or posted onto an area labeled private but still connects to the internet, has the risk of being exposed. By logging on to the internet, one is automatically agreeing to the possible privacy leak, whether by the company or by a hacker. It is just apart of the internet. If one really wants to have a private life, then they should follow Ron Swanson’s life.

[Reply]

6. Dominic Juranty on May 11th, 2018 8:18 am

Snapchat is a pretty creepy and hilarious app. Whenever I open the app the first thing that I notice is my face on the front-facing camera, usually in an awkward but comical position. That being said, it is creepy when I think about how easy it would be to have someone just watching me if they hack my Snap. My information might be compromised but hey, some Snapchat stories are worth it.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Opinion

The Impossible

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Opinion

The Pet You Don’t Want

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Featured

Sub-ordinate Students

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Opinion

Never Know Who’s Listening

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Opinion

School Uniforms – Yay or Nay

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Opinion

Death Among Us All?

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Opinion

You Never Know Who’s Behind The Screen

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Arts and Entertainment

What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Opinion

Standardized Tests for Not-So-Standard Students

• The Dangers of Snapchat

Opinion

Is it Really Guns?

The Dangers of Snapchat