Winter Formal 2018

A journey in Neverland

Ana Gonzalez, Journalist

Theme decorations Maddie Dunn

Mr. Williams, the Computer Science, IT essentials, and Student Council Advisor, says, “Since Winter Semi-Formal is part of the Winter Spirit week, most of the preparation is done as part of the spirit decorations. For the dance itself, the preparation is just moving all the tables and chairs to make an open space and trying to make it seem less like a cafeteria.”

The hours spent decorating wouldn’t be that long since they have all the help.

Mr. Williams says, “The decorations for the dance itself takes 3-4 hours, but the ‘walls’ that go up at the beginning of the week can take up to 20 to 30 hours.”

Sounds like a lot of time and effort put in, but at the end the, ‘walls’ end up looking amazing.

Who helps though? Williams says, “The student council officers make the vast majority of the decorations when we are working, however, and we usually get 3-4 people who are friends of StuCo members.

What are the rules for the dance? Williams says, “Dances are covered by all the same rules as school except the dress code is a little less lax. But you should still wear clothes that cover your underwear…even when you’re getting lit.”

Hanging around friends making this school year one to remember. Maddie Dunn

Who controls the music at the dances? Williams replies, “Originally we would hire a DJ from outside the school, but one dance we only made about $600 and the DJ wanted $250. I offered to play the role of DJ for all the dances but prom after that percentage so if we bomb on a dance it isn’t as big as a problem.”

There were concession stands for chips, candy, soda and water.

When Mr. Mullin was the StuCo advisor before Williams, he started having his gamer club sell snacks at the dances. At some point, the kids in RPG had that job order, since Mr. Williams is the advisor and is there anyway. Any club could sell at the dances, if they put in fundraiser paperwork and their advisor is there to supervise.

The concession money goes to the club selling the snacks because they make the investment into the snacks. They can use the profits for whatever their club needs.

Williams says, “Honestly, there’s not much fun about me being in charge. If anything goes wrong, it’s blamed on Student Council and me. But watching the kids go nuts to “Cupid Shuffle” or “Cha Cha slide” is entertaining.”

Dancing the night away. Maddie Dunn

They try to make all the dances better. Williams adds, “We try to get feedback from the Student Body on how to improve things, but it see

ms like no matter what someone will be unhappy. If anyone has ideas, they should talk to their StuCo officers or come see us in room 220 during first hour.”

Student Council comes in the day after the dance to restore order. Any decorations that were specific to the dance come down, they put all the chairs and tables back, they sweep and mop, and then check the bathrooms. Williams say, “They’re usually the scariest.”

How’s the aftermath? “It’s about how you would expect after 300+ kids go crazy.” Williams says.

The dances benefit Williams because the funds raised from the dances are used for anything Student Council sponsors, so spirit shirts, guest speakers, like when Mike Smith came out, decorations for spirit weeks, and faculty/teacher appreciation.

Williams has also now been the advisor of the dances and StuCo for 6 years.