Mission to be a Marine

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13

Emma Crow, Journalist

If you live in America, you know how important our military is and how brave those who have joined truly are. There are many students attending Pahrump Valley High School who are preparing to serve our country soon after they graduate.

Hunter Campbell, who attended PVHS last year, is one of many who chose to enter into the military straight out of high school and has recently earned the title of US Marine.

Campbell stated that he has had a fascination with guns and all things military since he was very young. His family could already see the camo pants and combat boots in his future.

Campbell during his training.

It was during an exceptional Poolee function, which is an event that allows recruiters to interact with those interested in joining the military, that Campbell gained interest in joining the Marine Corps. “It showed me the bond formed between people that could make you feel important,” he stated.

The first step to becoming a Marine begins with a solemn bus ride to a 13 week long sequence of intense training exercises that are used to transform an everyday civilian into a United States Marine.

Campbell said that the final drill and the dreaded Crucible were two main events of bootcamp that broke him “mentally as well as physically.”

The Crucible is an intense 54-hour trial that includes many team building exercises and tests a recruit physically, mentally, and morally. During this test, the recruits are given very little food and very little rest and must continue on with nothing but pure will power.

At the end of the Crucible, recruits must make a final 9.7 mile hike up a steep mountain known as The Reaper. At the top of this mountain, recruits will receive their Eagle, Globe, and Anchor emblem and it is during this moment that the recruits officially earn the title of United States Marine.

Campbell standing on the parade deck the day of his graduation.

Campbell said that his favorite part of the overall bootcamp experience was the last 2 weeks. He described it as his company basically just having fun, “screwing around, and showing off.” The hardest part for him was feeling like he was alone and not having his family there to help him get through it.

At the end of bootcamp, the new Marines finally get to graduate. Campbell described graduating as “one of the best feelings I’ve ever had.”

The graduation began with the Marine Band marching around the parade deck playing various songs, such as the well known “Marine’s Hymn.” The 7 platoons of Mike Company were then paraded around in their dress blues and shown off to their proud families and friends who were cheering in the crowd. After a few encouraging words from the drill instructors, the new Marines were then released to their families for a well deserved 10 day leave.

Campbell and his girlfriend (the author of this article) seeing each other for the first time on Family Day after being apart for 3 months.

Campbell said that finally getting to see his family, friends, and girlfriend (who happens to be writing this article) all cheering him on was amazing. “It was like, for once, I did something I was proud of.”

Now that Campbell has graduated and began actual training, he has some words of advice for seniors who are planning on entering into the military as soon as they graduate out of high school: “If you’re happy with your life and have everything you’d want as well as a path other than military, I highly suggest you take your time. There’s no rush. I know you want to get in and get it over with, but it’s better to not sign the dotted line and risk regretting it later.”