School’s technology

Alexis Sandoval, Journalist

Buzzzz. Great, another distraction within the classroom disturbing not only that student, but the others around them and the teacher as well. Why is this such a problem? How can we help it? Maybe these teachers’ feedback and some research will help clear the air about this situation.
Image result for phones in school picture

The writers of a U.S. news and world Reports website, Purdue University, said, “Technology is a powerful tool that can support and transform education in many ways, from making it easier for teachers to create instructional materials to enabling new ways for people to learn and work together.”

This was never a problem before the 20th century. It was probably because technology wasn’t as advanced as it is now, but since Apple came out with its iPhones, things started getting out of hand. Many people were so amazed with this new technology that they just had to have it. When parents had it, their kids usually received one too and that’s where the problem began.

Mr. Herron, an English teacher at PHVS, said “When used correctly, technology is a fantastic tool for learners; however, the opposite can be true, as well: technology can have a strong negative impact on one’s education.”

Mr. Herron has a good point. Technology is a great tool to use, but maybe only for those students who’ll use it correctly. Many students take advantage of the technology when allowed to use it, which makes it hard to teach. For example, some scroll through Facebook or watch stories on Snapchat. The different ways the students use the technology, make it sometimes difficult to continue their lesson, like seeing a video on Facebook and showing the others around them which only make it a bigger distraction.

Applications and sites such as StudySync and Kahoot are both some instructional materials that teachers use to give the students a learning experience in which they can interact. Teachers can create or find activities and sites to change the way their students learn.

Mr. Harris, an government teacher said, “Technology has a negative impact. There is a time and place for everything and cellphones are harming this generation and making some unemployable.”

Students get caught up on the phone in class and miss the life skills they are there to learn, and like Mr. Harris said, it makes the unemployable. Even though students don’t realize it, being on their phones during class when they shouldn’t be, makes a very big impact on their future when they don’t know the life skills like communication, in real life not the screen. Or maybe something like creative thinking.

The writers of The Tech Advocate said, “Technology is interactive, and students learn by doing, researching, and receiving feedback. This helps students become passionate about what they are learning. For example, they may study geography using interactive software such as Google Maps or Google Earth, instead of looking at a picture.”

Students can use devices for educational use, but if they’re doing school work they should be using school devices, such as the Chromebooks that almost every classroom has assigned to them. When students are offered a chance to use a device, they go to their phones, but don’t do anything productive when they are on their devices.

Mr. Larssen, an English teacher said, “We need more technology, not less. So in a way, the ‘technology problem’ is a lack of technology integration.”

Mr. Larssen has a different look on the technology headache. He has a different outlook for teachers and students with their difficulties in the class with the distractions, misuse and taking advantage of the devices and sources.

iPhones really made a difference within us with their touchscreen, loudspeakers, great quality cameras and so much more that people love. All these are just a few great features that people love and want for a phone, therefore, we buy. We buy and love and make it a priority to have, but with these amazing devices the distraction levels rise which is why most schools have problems.

So all this feedback from teachers and websites really shows how much technology has affected these latest generations of learning and teaching. Phones should be required because many students really only have phones to text their parents when separated from them. They should be required but with rule that come along with that.

Maybe rules like only being on devices if there’s an emergency that you need to be on your phone for, like a family issue. This really helps us as a group know what we can do to help this situation and possibly make it more of positive distractions and positive use for students phones rather than texting, or social media, or anything else people think is necessary to do in class on their phones.