Key Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Key Club

Lilly Carle, Journalist

Everyone should join Key Club. It’s a great way to serve your community and build character and leadership. Key Club members around the world are learning how to lead and stand for what’s right through service.

Mary Smith, Emanuel Ribeiro, members of Key Club.

When you join Key Club, you recite the Pledge: “I pledge, on my honor, to uphold the objects of Key Club International; to build my home, school, and community; to serve my nation and God; and combat all forces which tend to undermine these institutions.”

Key Club is a growing organization with global reach. With thousands of clubs in more than 38 countries, the impact of members can be felt all over the world.

High school members perform acts of service in their communities, such as cleaning up parks, collecting clothing, and organizing food drives. They also learn leadership skills by running meetings, planning projects, and holding elected leadership positions at the club, district, and international levels.

Mckenna Abbiss, President of Key Club.

Mckenna Abbiss, President of Key Club, says, “I think the most stressful part is when you are out doing service and then people aren’t organized and they don’t know what they want help with. And not many people know about us. The people who do know about us don’t realize that we do service or how easy service can be.” Last year Key Club served over 2,500 hours of community service here in Pahrump helping others. They have worked with the VFW, Ladies Auxiliary, Martin Luther King Foundation, Salvation Army, as well as many others. They have raised over $7,500 for Salvation Army and over $3,000 for Relay for Life during their bell ringing campaign.

Key Club’s motto is “caring – our way of life.” Come down Tuesdays after school to Mr. Harris’s room 234. Key Club provides its members with opportunities to provide service, build character, and develop leadership skills.

As Abbiss says, “Joining is super easy: You come to Key Club meetings. We will give you a form to fill out. You bring it back the next meeting and give it to us. Then you continue to come to meetings and do service and become part of our Key Club family.