True Love

Courtesy of Happy Valentines Day World Wide

Piper Bokelman, Journalist

True Love, it is something everyone dreams of since childhood and well into adulthood. Love according to Psychologist Yale university graduate Robert Sternberg, there are three components of love: intimacy, passion, and commitment. 

According to research published in the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, individuals with more negative models of self are involved in less satisfying relationships because they have difficulty believing that they are loved by good partners. A person feeling loved by a good partner is thought to have a sense of security and promotes closeness. 

Mrs. Nielsen, a PVHS English Teacher said, “Love is the reason for living and what brings people together. Families, friends, spouses are brought together by love.” Love is something important in life because it inspires people to do good and make others happy, like how a father treats his child gently and respectfully because he loves his child and wants to do right by them.

Love is a reaction of the heart other than the brain. Dopamine is a chemical in the brain that makes people feel happy and excited about each other. Oxytocin is a peptide hormone in the brain that deepens the feeling of attachment in the brain. Really, love is just a chemical reaction in the brain to make others feel “euphoric.” 

Falling in love does not always take months. Sometimes you can fall in love in weeks or even days, or you might just find yourself falling in love in one day. You need only an hour with a stranger, plus asking a few questions, and you can fall in love with anyone.

Torianna Pena, a PVHS Sophomore said, “I think it is possible to start developing feelings for someone over a day. Feelings can change so fast positively and negatively. It’s the same if someone really upsets you one day. You could lose feelings for them over that day.”

Cupid’s arrow strikes within up to four minutes, and you fall in love, says Salome Gurgenidze. “When it comes to attracting a mate, it is absolutely true that first impressions last.” Love is something that can be described in different ways and the time limit to falling in love is never the same for each person. 

“A person newly in love sees the world through the lens of love and most everything is tolerable and everything their partner does is delightful,” says Elizabeth Kane, a South University adjunct faculty member who teaches clinical psychology and behavioral science. Love blindness can make a person believe someone is a good person when in reality they are not good for them at all, such as believing your partner is good when they are toxic and hurts you. 

Korbin Anderson, a PVHS Sophomore said, “It takes more than one day to truly love somebody no matter if they treat you right. Love is not a simple term, for love is a bond between one and another that can not be broken, even if they fight. If the bond is broken, then it was never real love.”

Love is never easy. It takes time and commitment to love a person. You need to learn that not every day you will love the person and be happy with them. There will be fights and sometimes you two will not get along, but in the end, if you truly love a person, you will always find your way back to each other.