Should We Remove The Blacks Bars Across Our Mouth?

*Takes sip* Ahh hello there, welcome to the corner of conversation street. Today we’ll be talking about something we may hear everyday from our TVs to our phones. The infamous beep that peaks our attention while watching or listening to something, we think that there is a purpose for it but why is it here? Then later talk about if students or even teachers should be able to curse. *Starts pouring out drink* Here’s a drink, take a chair, listen to some jazz, and stay a while and listen. *sips again*

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2019/06/04/will-increasing-government-censorship-lead-to-a-fragmented-web/?sh=45f9a8f3de15

Anthony Brown, Journalist

Ahh, yes, so we are talking about the black bars over our mouths. But you might say, “my mouth is perfectly fine, there is nothing there,” No, I’m talking about censorship of it. So what is censorship? Well, it’s the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security. Censorship has been around for a long time, from different ideals being censored to words, all these things aren’t allowed. We had it so heavy in the film industry even words like “fart” and “damn” were banned because of the thought of being taboo during the 70s. So why do we censor things nowadays? One theory is that censorship can protect the children and from how horrible this world is. Another one is religion so they don’t allow these words because they have different uses of the word or meaning. This is why the film industry banned words like, “damn”. Because when you “damn” someone, that means you want them in hell which they won’t like.  Last, there are some things that are too taboo no matter what because it’s meant to be heavily racist against some group of people or just, well, bad. *Someone pounding on the door* *breaks down door* FBI! OPEN UP!  

https://www.atomicheritage.org/history/mail-censorship

One of the arguments against censorship is that when the children go out they are going to hear these things so what’s the point of hiding these things if they are going to have to deal with them later? You can’t block something like that and what was the point in protecting them about it.

Now here is the real meat and potatoes of this article; if we students should be able to cuss. If adults can do it, why can’t we? *Takes another sip* I have asked teachers and students if we should be able to do that. The first person I interviewed was one of the physical science teachers Ms. Thompson. I asked her a few questions about her view of cursing as a whole and this is what she said, “I think that cursing is often not necessary for clear communication and thus do not believe that cursing should or even needs to be used in the classroom by either students or teachers.” And also saying, “I do not think that it would be a bad thing to allow people to curse, but in a school or work environment, having a rule against cursing would be appropriate. Generally, if a student cursed by me I would remind them that the language is not appropriate or beneficial to our learning environment.“ 

Next, is a teacher named Mr. Butt he does a few elective classes here at the high school, and I interviewed him with the same questions. This is what he said about it, “It would be a bad thing. We are trying to teach students how to excel in the world and how to work in a professional environment like they would in a workplace. If you allow cursing then we are encouraging it. Once students find a job and begin acting in that way, they will not be employed much longer. In a school setting, the environment is a professional one. As such, it is against norms and is wrong in a school setting. What someone does outside of the school setting though, is different.” And also, “In school yes. In one’s personal life? That is dependent upon the person, their morals, and their culture. In Dublin, Ireland it is normal and expected; in Salt Lake City, Utah it is not.” 

Mr. Butt

*Heavy Minecraft sipping* Hmmm, there’s patterns where it’s sometimes okay to speak like this at home and outside of your home, just not in a professional environment. We don’t care what you do at home as long as you come to work and do your job. 

Next I’m going to be talking to students, and this is where things change a bit. I grabbed a few students, and from what I hear, a lot of students are really just they don’t care. They either do it at home or here. So you curse thinking it’s a normal thing. Or you learned from the things your friends say, and if you don’t get in trouble from it, why would you not do it? That is why I think students curse at school. They may have different reasons why they do it, but I don’t have the time to interview everyone.  Well look at the time, I have to go *finishes his coffee*. It was fun talking to you about censorship and if we should curse. Maybe one day you will come back to have your own corner of conversation street. If I don’t see you tomorrow, have a good morning, afternoon, and night.