Should the Legal Driving Age Change, or Could Younger Ages Crack Under Responsibility?

Many students could use the benefits of driving younger than what they’re legally allowed to, but why is the legal age so high in the first place?

In most states, 16 is the legal age for a minor to drive a car. However, 16 is too long of a wait. The legal age to drive should be lowered. We should be able to take the permit test at 14, and receive our driver’s license around the time we turn 15.

In my opinion, driving should be based on how comfortable you are and your personal maturity level. Depending on these factors, I believe anyone can learn to drive. For example, I was taught how to drive at a young age and I have continuously practiced since I was young. I have practiced in trucks, cars, jeeps, and other off-road vehicles. Having a good teacher who teaches the correct ways of driving and the reasons why you avoid doing certain things makes driving much easier to understand, therefore it comes easier.

The legal driving age should be lowered to ages 14 and 15. It doesn’t matter how old you are, I feel anyone can drive recklessly or be excellent during their adolescent years. I know many drivers above 16 who do not drive safely on the road and yet they still were able to get their licenses. The time and understanding put into learning should reflect on their driving skills, not their age. Also, younger people are also known to have a faster reaction time and are better at navigating than older people, this is a benefit of young drivers.

The advantage of the legal driving age being cut down to 14 or 15 is that we would be able to help our peers and adults out. Many high school students that participate in sports or clubs are younger than 16, meaning they have to rely on a licensed driver to take them but it can be a great deal that causes large amounts of stress. Being able to get around to practice or meetings without having to worry about a ride would help everyone out and it would be significantly easier. Another issue with teenagers not having their licenses is the feeling of bothering everyone for a ride every time there is an out-of-school event with classmates. When a ride isn’t available that leads to missing out on high school experiences, which is not a good time, it can lead to feeling lonely and being left out. Being included during high school is important and not putting yourself out there and being able to make memories because of transportation problems is an awful feeling.

Some others may disagree because they think maturity comes with age, but studies on the brain and its development suggest that most people don’t reach full maturity until age 25 (NPR). If this is factual, then ideally no one under the age of 25 should be able to drive. If a 16-year-old who isn’t fully mature is able to drive, younger people should be able to also. They may also feel that younger people may not be able to handle such responsibility from this such as peer pressure from their friends to drive recklessly and make others on the road unsafe. Furthermore, they wouldn’t be able to get their permit or license if proven unable to safely drive and they would get their license revoked if they broke the law.

A small age gap should not mean young teens should be completely belittled and be offered fewer options.