The Trojan Tribune

The Student News Site of Pahrump Valley High School

• Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

• Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

• See What The GSA Club At PVHS Has To Offer.

Uncategorized

See What The GSA Club At PVHS Has To Offer.

• Important Opinions On Yearbook

PVHS News

Important Opinions On Yearbook

• Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

• Free Images : laptop, product, technology, electronic device, computer keyboard, personal computer, furniture, gadget, display device, font, space bar, netbook, electronics, multimedia, touchpad, office equipment, input device, computer desk 3424x3424 - -

Opinion

The Internet Explained

• The Hiroshima Bomb

Opinion

The Hiroshima Bomb

• Do Two Cadillac Enthusiasts Have the Same Top Three Favorite Cars?

Opinion

Do Two Cadillac Enthusiasts Have the Same Top Three Favorite Cars?

• What Should Your First Job Be?

Opinion

What Should Your First Job Be?

The Trojan Tribune

The Trojan Tribune

Varsity football facts

Boys varsity football has been at Pahrump Valley High School for years. It’s a really big thing at this school. Here are some fun and challenging things about boys varsity football.

The Pahrump Valley Trojans record last year was 4-5 not enough to make it to playoffs and the varsity football record this year was 3-6, which was also not enough to make it into playoffs. I interviewed an assistant coach, Mike Colucci, and asked him some questions about coaching. I asked Colucci what he loves about coaching varsity football and he said that he loves the relationships he develops with the athletes and the coaches, he loves the intensity of Friday night games and he likes to teach the kids responsibilities and discipline.  “I love teaching kids discipline because it’s what our world is lacking now.”

I also interviewed an athlete by the name of Hunter Mellinger and he is a starter on the varsity offensive line I asked him what he loves most about varsity football. Mellinger said, “I love the bonds and brotherhood I get from football. I love the sport and want to make it far but the best thing for me is the love and support I get from teammates and coaches.” Mellinger obviously loves the sport but he loves the relationships and support he gets from the sport most. 

Varsity football is a big thing at Pahrump Valley High School it has been for a while it always gets hyped up by student sections and just the games in general get hyped. These last two years of varsity football have been upsets the 2022 season varsity did not make the playoffs they went 4-5 which wasn’t enough to make it to the playoffs. Varsity football this year went 3-6 which was also not enough to bring them to the playoffs the team was definitely capable of it but a lot of mistakes and injuries took out the team. The Pahrump Valley Trojans also came out with some big wins this year and last year. In the 2022 season, the Trojans blew out Mater East  56-6. In the 2023 season, the Pahrump Valley Trojans beat the Meadows Mustangs 44-34. These two wins really showed what Pahrump Valley Trojans are capable of. The Trojans have great athletes and are capable of having great seasons.

Coaching and playing varsity football is very challenging. I asked a coach and a player what was challenging about coaching and playing varsity football. Coach  Colucci said, “Getting 11 players on the field to execute at a consistent level and preparing for each game playing football you have to give up your summer to train and get conditioned for the season and getting all the coaches and players on the same page.” Being a coach for varsity football is challenging in some ways. Imagine you giving up your summer for a sport. I also interviewed an athlete, Hunter Mellinger, and I asked him what’s challenging about playing varsity football and he said,“Getting mentally prepared for a game and never knowing if you might change positions in such little time.” Mellinger finds little things like this challenging. 

Here are some things to know about varsity football and what’s fun and challenging about it. I hope this helps you get an understanding of Varsity football. Next fall I hope to see you watch or play football.