The Trojan Tribune

The Student News Site of Pahrump Valley High School

• Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

• Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

• Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

• The Hiroshima Bomb

Opinion

The Hiroshima Bomb

• Do Two Cadillac Enthusiasts Have the Same Top Three Favorite Cars?

Opinion

Do Two Cadillac Enthusiasts Have the Same Top Three Favorite Cars?

• What Should Your First Job Be?

Opinion

What Should Your First Job Be?

• Dr.Pepper: The Start Of It All

Opinion

Dr.Pepper: The Start Of It All

• Are guinea pigs good starter pets?

Opinion

Are guinea pigs good starter pets?

• A Celebration of Love

Opinion

A Celebration of Love

The Trojan Tribune

The Trojan Tribune

The Internet Explained

The internet is a place of opportunity for people to socialize and connect. There is much more to the internet than what meets the eye. Continue reading if you want the internet explained.
Free Images : laptop, product, technology, electronic device, computer keyboard, personal computer, furniture, gadget, display device, font, space bar, netbook, electronics, multimedia, touchpad, office equipment, input device, computer desk 3424x3424 - -
Free Images : laptop, product, technology, electronic device, computer keyboard, personal computer, furniture, gadget, display device, font, space bar, netbook, electronics, multimedia, touchpad, office equipment, input device, computer desk 3424×3424 – –

The Internet is a network of millions connecting people worldwide. The human race has changed greatly since being introduced to the internet. This great creation has greatly impacted our lives. The Internet is an ever-expanding creation. It has many pros but it also has many cons.

As people get deeper into the internet they can find themselves in a type of rabbit hole. There is much more to the internet than what may seem to be, many parts of the internet are dark. Many people need to be made aware of Internet segments where there is much to unravel. The surface web is the primary piece of people’s online presence. The surface web contains search engines, websites, apps, social media, and much more. It is the portion of the web that is freely available with a simple web address. This would be the tip of the “internet iceberg” which contains 3 parts—the surface web on top, the deep web in the middle, and the dark web on the bottom.  

Participants using the computer centre facilities | UNclimatechange | Flickr

The deep web is defined as web content that is not indexed or can’t be searched with a search engine. Some examples out of the many are websites behind a paywall or some that may require log-in credentials. Many individuals access the deep web daily whether it be logging into a website or accessing their bank account. Approximately 90% of all online content is on the deep web. The deep web is not a thing to fear but it is a thing to be aware of. Unlike the dark web, the deep web is used for not abnormal or out-of-the-ordinary things, although some things may be a bit odd.

Crop hacker browsing laptop and smartphone in darkness · Free Stock Photo

When interviewed and asked about how often he accesses the surface web and deep web Christian Taylor stated “I use it probably about a couple times a day”. When asked about how familiar with the internet Taylor was, Taylor said “I’ve used the internet most of my life so I’m pretty used to it, I play video games a lot and just go online a lot in general”.  Many people can probably agree since the internet has become such a big part of everyone’s life.

Although the deep web may sound as though it is the last of the internet segments, it is not. As stated before there are three main key parts of the Internet the surface web is on top, the deep web in the middle, and the dark web on the bottom. The dark web is the worst part of the internet and can be the deepest rabbit hole people may find themselves in. The dark web or “hidden web” is a portion of the internet that is unregulated and unfiltered so many bad things can be accessed through it. It is upheld and controlled by a vast network of people worldwide. It contains thousands of people who are volunteers, they control proxy servers so that they are able to route dark web requests to people all over the world. No one person is responsible for setting up or upholding rules or boundaries which makes it much easier for people to hack or do things unlawful. This is why the dark web is such an easy target for cybercriminals or people with suspicious intent.

To summarize all that has been stated there are many parts of the internet some can be easily accessed some cannot and some should not. People need to be aware and vigilant of their online activity and where they go or what they look into online. Some places may lead someone into a deep rabbit hole where one may be blackmailed or lulled into a bad situation. Please be careful online and look out for scams and other malware or suspicious things. Make sure to also look out for older family and friends as they are easily taken advantage of by people online.