The Trojan Tribune

The Student News Site of Pahrump Valley High School

• Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

• Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

• Join the Club: Friendship Awaits.

PVHS News

Join the Club: Friendship Awaits.

• PVHS Throwing Team Soaring Above and Beyond

Sports

PVHS Throwing Team Soaring Above and Beyond

• An Inside Look on The Mountain Biking Club

Uncategorized

An Inside Look on The Mountain Biking Club

• All About PVHS Broadcasting Class and the Upsides Of It All

PVHS News

All About PVHS Broadcasting Class and the Upsides Of It All

• Bring Life to Your Community!

PVHS News

Bring Life to Your Community!

• Amazing Varsity Softball Data

Uncategorized

Amazing Varsity Softball Data

• The Amazing Pahrump Valley High School JV Softball Team!

Sports

The Amazing Pahrump Valley High School JV Softball Team!

• Why PVHS’s Chess Club is Interesting

PVHS News

Why PVHS’s Chess Club is Interesting

The Trojan Tribune

The Trojan Tribune

Track Stars Shine on the Field

Running track is a sport that combines endurance, technique, and speed. There are multiple different events you can do and run in there will always be a spot for you.

Track is split into running, jumping, and throwing. Track is all about speed and endurance. The great thing about track is there is an event for everybody and what they are good at. My main focus is the races and running events. The running events include relay races, hurdles, dash, and runs. Relays are an event where multiple athletes work together and run an equal amount of the track passing a stick-like object to the next runner when they reach them. Hurdles is a running race where the runners have to jump over a set amount of barrier-like objects.  The dash event is a short distance race; there is a 40 yard dash; there are also 100m, 200m, 400m, and 800m dashes. The run is just a race around the track for a longer distance. Every event is made for someone different, so don’t feel bad if something is too much for you. There will always be a spot for you somewhere as long as you keep pushing.

I interviewed two students that are on the running portion of the track team. One of the students I interviewed was Aurora Whitney. Whitney is currently a junior at Pahrump Valley High School and she enjoys track because she loves running in general, especially long distance. She joined track to make new friends and stay in shape for cross country. One of her favorite but challenging things about track is competing against higher end schools. Whitney loves going to regional and state but she hates the hard practice in the heat. She wants to continue with track throughout school to stay in shape and continue making friends.

Another student I also had the opportunity to interview, is James DelaRosa, who also is a runner in track. DelaRosa is currently a junior at PVHS. He enjoys track because he likes staying in shape and the competition. He joined track because he enjoys bonding on the bus rides with other members. DelaRosa finds running faster challenging and wants to work on his form to hopefully improve his speed. One of his favorite things about the track season is the different competition between schools. He wanted to join the track team because he had extra time and wanted to stay in shape. DelaRosa also wants to continue track throughout his time in high school.

Don’t forget to congratulate the track team whenever seen around the school on their hard work this season!! Also, don’t forget to congratulate the coaches for putting in the hard work for the team and getting them to where they are now. Even though the school year is coming to end, trying out for the track team next year can always be an option. You’ll have an amazing time making new friends and making bonds with the coaches!