Super Bowl Sunday

Alexis Sandoval, Journalist

Touchdown! There it is, another Super Bowl win, but why did the attendance level get so high? What makes the Super Bowl so special? Maybe some research and fans can help us understand more about this huge event.

The NFL Super Bowl is a huge event that takes place on the first Sunday of February. NFL teams make their way to the annual championship game by battling through the 16-game regular season. Once regular season is complete, the winning teams play the wild card, divisional, conference, and finally it’s off to the big game.

The NFL’s first ever Super Bowl game was held on January 15, 1967. From there, the event started to boom. With football being such an American favorite, this event started to grow dramatically with the Football lovers wanting to see the best teams face off. The football event used to always be in January, until 2002. Back in 2002, the U.S. was taking stock so the games were delayed and since then, the Super Bowl has been played on the first Sunday of February.

In the very first Super Bowl, the Green Bay Packers had defeated the Kansas City Chiefs with the score of 35-10. It was played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Since then, the Super Bowl has jumped from place to place.

Robbie Brockman, a special education Parapro said, “Having a Dad as a coach, I was raised on football. We watch it every year and some of my fondest family memories were times spent watching the ‘Big Game.’”

Many viewers like Mr. Brockman have made many memories like the food, or performing their own halftime show. The game has even brought families closer. Making small memories such as the food and fun can bring families together.

Brockman also said, “Just eating a lot of food [and] getting together with the relatives” are the traditions he has with his family while watching the Super Bowl.

Many viewers watch the Super Bowl every year. More and more people watch every year, leading to at least 111 million watchers.

There is a huge difference from ticket prices then to now. In 1967, a single fan paid no more than $12 to watch the first Super Bowl. Now these prices are $2,500-$3,000 for one person.

Thalia Blodgett, Freshman and a Super Bowl fan, said, “These prices are ridiculous. The game is super big but these prices are a lot for the common fan to watch.”

The Super Bowl is so big that in order to play commercials, companies would need to pay an average of $2.8 million per 30 seconds of air time on the Super Bowl. Back in 1967, when the Super Bowl was played for the first time, the cost was only around $75,000 to $85,000 for a 1 minute commercial, but since the Super Bowl became the most watched broadcast on TV, the prices have exploded.

This gives an idea of just how popular the Super Bowl really is. Seeing as the prices along with viewers have shot up, it really shows the progress of the Super Bowl from then to now. It doesn’t look like this event is stopping any time soon, and continues to grow more and more every year.