Attention all PVHS students!

Hello PVHS Peers Tutor program, goodbye bad grades! Mr. Herron (the organizer), Mr. Campnell ( the principal), and the peer tutors (Sarah, Noemi, and Nicco) have made a new program for all students to use! This new program will start on February 8th, there will be a Canvas classroom on all student dashboards, from there, there will be a link into a google meet where you will meet with your tutors!

More stories from Shania Hopkins

L & J Pool Service
May 11, 2021
Attention all PVHS students!

Are you struggling to keep your grades up, not understanding a subject, or just feel you could be doing better in school overall? Well, we all can agree that COVID-19 has played a big part in these problems, as well as put extra stress on teachers and the students here at PVHS. Luckily for you, Mr. Herron and Mr. Campnell have come up with a solution to help with the majority of the problems that students are facing academically. I’m here to introduce to you all, the new Tutoring program!

Yes that is correct! We will have a Tutoring program that will be available to all students starting on February 8th! Due to covid restrictions, the new program will be online only. 

According to Mr. Herron, the organizer for this program,  “The tutor program is going to be an awesome resource for all Trojans! Our tutors will help you with homework, with organization or with communicating with teachers.”

Who are the tutors you may be asking?  The tutors are none other than students at PVHS who, “…are all high-achieving, college-bound seniors who care about the younger kids here in Pahrump. Their names are Nicco, Noemi and Sarah. They are funny, nice and helpful.” as stated by Mr. Herron. 

I had the chance to speak to one of the tutors, Sarah Ferguson, and asked about her thoughts on the program, “With COVID going around, all of the classes are online, which makes it harder for some students to fully engage in and understand the day’s lesson. Many teachers are busy and don’t have time to offer extra help for each student. Tutoring would make it easier for students to receive individual help for certain academic problems.” She also stated, “I would like to help the kids at PVHS by making it easier for them to understand what is happening in class. Oftentimes when people are helped with something that brings them stress, they become very relieved and happy…It becomes a rewarding situation for the both of us.”

Tutoring is a great opportunity as it often helps students who are struggling to keep up and become more successful in managing school work. According to oxfordlearning.com, “Tutoring can help strengthen subject comprehension, boost confidence, and build important learning skills.” 

Mr. Campnell, when asked on the subject of tutoring at PVHS, had this to say: “It can be a fantastic opportunity! I believe that if we can create a powerful connection between students, that can have a huge impact on supporting a student moving forward on their academic understanding.”

The program, as mentioned before, will start on February 8th, after school around 1:30. There will be a class called PVHS Peer Tutors, on everyone’s dashboard on Canvas. If you are interested in this program just click the link in Canvas to join the Google meet. If you have any other questions, Mr. Herron would be happy to help!