Is math useless or useless?

Math is something that many people do not like. I am one of these people and quite frankly I think it is useless. To be completely honest you really don’t need to learn all this math in high school.

Is math useless or useless?

Cristian Aldecua, Journalist

Math is mostly useless in and after high school. Math is so complicated when it gets to high school and after high school. Do you really need to learn all this new math in high school?  No, you really don’t, you just need to learn basic math then learn complex math if it’s necessary for a job. You forget all about math in high school most of the time because you do not use it, so what is the point of learning it in the first place? This is part of the reason why math is useless in and after high school. 

Math just makes you stressed in school. You really just need to learn basic math in elementary because it teaches you the basics. In middle school, it goes a little more into depth like fractions, decimals, and stuff that you actually need, but after middle school, math in high school is complicated and causes a lot of stress. A quote from  The Lantern says “It has been a proven fact that the math taught in high schools today causes an immense amount of stress in teenagers.” This says that math is stressful on top of the fact that it’s all mostly useless. Math in high school is something that just accumulates a lot of stress over time, all for you just forgetting after a year or two.  

Math in the school curriculum is becoming a chore for students. Math in school is changing rapidly and not in a good way. Math is also getting more and more complicated over the years. Adults are making kids do all these extra unnecessary steps instead of just making it simple. The problem is not the math problems themselves but they are making many different methods of doing math instead of just putting it into a simple format. Taipei Teen Tribune states “When kids are learning brand new topics, the simplest approach is the best. I don’t think the above is much more complicated than the traditional approach. However, teaching kids both methods makes things twice as complicated for children.” Another quote from the Taipei Teen Tribune says  “Not only does it make it more complicated but makes it much more stressful for the students.” This is showing that people are running out of ideas and just are finding ways to complicate things more than they should be. 

Math is not really needed for after graduation, most of it you forget. If math is required for a job they should teach you it at the job or if you’re going to college for that job. Most of the time you won’t be needing this because you will most likely end up getting a job non-math-related. Since this is the case for most scenarios, this would really be wasting your time in high school when you could be doing other stuff that you actually want to be. Math should be more of an elective class if that’s what you really enjoy. People would say this could be a problem because students would forget math but an interesting idea you can do is in your freshman and junior year of high school you can be in a math course that helps you practice basic math and not forget about it. This is a really good alternative. Another quote from the  Taipei Teen Tribune states “Math classes are really a waste of time for junior high students. They are not useful, no one really understands the subject, and it basically could be done by computers rather quickly and effectively. We really need to cancel this subject and learn something more useful.” 

Computers can basically just teach you rather quickly and give you answers instead of sitting hours in class confused. On top of all this, it would be more useful to learn something more useful in life, plumbing is an example that shows that you need to learn math for it, you could learn this at the job instead of taking it in high school then forget so you can just learn it again. Computers and phones are used nowadays for complex problems or even simple ones, there’s really no need to learn hard math.

Math is mostly useless in high school and in life. It is easily accessible on the internet and you can pretty much get the answers there. Math is getting harder because of all these new unnecessary methods. They need to stop wasting time on complex math and confusing people.

The moral of all this is that math in high school is there just to make your life harder and nothing else.