The Trojan Tribune

The Student News Site of Pahrump Valley High School

• Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

• Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

• See What The GSA Club At PVHS Has To Offer.

Uncategorized

See What The GSA Club At PVHS Has To Offer.

• Important Opinions On Yearbook

PVHS News

Important Opinions On Yearbook

• Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

• Free Images : laptop, product, technology, electronic device, computer keyboard, personal computer, furniture, gadget, display device, font, space bar, netbook, electronics, multimedia, touchpad, office equipment, input device, computer desk 3424x3424 - -

Opinion

The Internet Explained

• The Hiroshima Bomb

Opinion

The Hiroshima Bomb

• Do Two Cadillac Enthusiasts Have the Same Top Three Favorite Cars?

Opinion

Do Two Cadillac Enthusiasts Have the Same Top Three Favorite Cars?

• What Should Your First Job Be?

Opinion

What Should Your First Job Be?

The Trojan Tribune

The Trojan Tribune

A Guide to Guinea Pig Care

Guinea pigs take very special care in order to be happy and healthy in their homes. Though they can be messy and expensive guinea pigs are awesome little pets.
https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-of-an-american-guinea-pig-18035075/
Guinea pigs are easily startled and make quite expensive pets. Being as easily startled as they are you must be very careful when handling or trying to handle a guinea pig. Moving too fast when trying to grab your guinea pig can push them into a panic and if you panic your guinea pig there can be a sense of mistrust. If you don’t have trust with your guinea pig they can grow cold and can begin to hate you as well as run away every time you try to touch them.

https://www.rawpixel.com/search?page=1&sort=curated&similar=6036576

Guinea pigs can be aggressive if they don’t have a proper cage or the proper resources in their cage. Aggression between guinea pigs might be a sign that your guinea pigs don’t have enough space in their cage or are fighting over resources. Guinea pigs show aggression if there is not enough food, hay, or water for them to share equally, for this I would suggest a big cage with two water bottles, two food bowls, and a huge spot for hay.

The diet of guinea pigs is very sensitive as they are herbivores and cannot digest meat. Guinea pigs need to have their pellets as the pellets Support healthy digestion, help the guinea pig get vitamin C and antioxidants, have prebiotics and probiotics in them and encourage natural foraging to keep the guinea pig healthy and happy. There are plenty of things guinea pigs should only eat once or twice per month such as; radishes, pumpkin leaves, pumpkin, peppermint, and many other things. Guinea pig foods that should be given almost daily are; lettuce, radicchio, raspberry leaves, Swiss chard, and zucchini.

https://world.openpetfoodfacts.org/product/5410340241882/timothy-hay

Hay is the most important part of your guinea pigs’ diet as hay is important for their digestive systems to function properly, guinea pigs’ teeth are always growing, so eating hay helps grind the teeth down to keep them at the correct length as well as the correct shape. Guinea pigs who have the wrong diet have been found to have serious dental diseases while guinea pigs with the proper diet are more healthy inside their mouths. When you pick out a hay brand for your guinea pigs you have to be careful in your choices as some hay brands are poor quality and are unhealthy in the long run for your little friends. The best hay brands to go after are most of the brands that contain Timothy hay though some don’t have Timothy hay that are still a good choice for your guinea pigs.

Guinea pigs are prey animals and need places to hide away from anything that scares them. If your guinea pig runs away from you when you try to pet them, don’t chase them with your hands when they run it means they are scared and don’t wish to be touched. Being prey animals, guinea pigs need plenty of areas to hide to feel safe in their environment. Plastic houses and even beds work for a guinea pig hide. There are even some options that allow your guinea pig to chew the hide without getting hurt in any way such as safe wood tunnels and anything made out of guinea pig-safe materials. If your guinea pig ever eats something that they should not be eating, keep a close eye on them and bring them to the vet if necessary. Guinea pigs may make expensive pets and get easily startled but if you treat them correctly in the end you will have a loving little pet.