The Trojan Tribune

The Student News Site of Pahrump Valley High School

• Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

• Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Under Lockdown.

• See What The GSA Club At PVHS Has To Offer.

Uncategorized

See What The GSA Club At PVHS Has To Offer.

• Important Opinions On Yearbook

PVHS News

Important Opinions On Yearbook

• Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

Pahrump Valley High School Lock Down

Featured

• Free Images : laptop, product, technology, electronic device, computer keyboard, personal computer, furniture, gadget, display device, font, space bar, netbook, electronics, multimedia, touchpad, office equipment, input device, computer desk 3424x3424 - -

Opinion

The Internet Explained

• The Hiroshima Bomb

Opinion

The Hiroshima Bomb

• Do Two Cadillac Enthusiasts Have the Same Top Three Favorite Cars?

Opinion

Do Two Cadillac Enthusiasts Have the Same Top Three Favorite Cars?

• What Should Your First Job Be?

Opinion

What Should Your First Job Be?

The Trojan Tribune

The Trojan Tribune

Girls Wrestling

What girls wrestling is all about and the true meaning of how it feels to be apart of a strong community of wrestlers.
+PAhrump+Valley+HS+athletics+Facebook+page
PAhrump Valley HS athletics Facebook page
Wrestling is ultimately an individual sport, that encourages leadership among yourself, physical fitness, and confidence, but with that comes a whole family of wrestlers. Just like boys’ wrestling, girls’ wrestling involves grappling, takedowns, and pinning your opponent. It’s a great way for girls to showcase their athleticism and build confidence. As well as how empowering it is to see girls breaking stereotypes and outshining a male-dominated sport.

Tiler Ledford is a student-athlete at PVHS. She is currently a junior and playing girls’ wrestling. Ledford has been playing for PVHS girls wrestling for the last three years but before that, since she was eight years old! She has stated that “not all girls can do the sport and it shows that girls can do what guys do.” The cool thing about girls wrestling is that it’s not just about winning it’s about getting better and learning new ways to make a win. 

Sunday Colon is another student-athlete at PVHS, she is a freshman but has been playing the sport of wrestling for about four years now. Colon enjoys the competition and self-pride girls wrestling gives her, considering all her life she has been in sports and loves a challenge that will make her a better athlete.

Even though Colon and Ledford have a huge age gap, they have many athletic qualities in common when it comes to the sport of wrestling. One of the biggest qualities they have in common is how to get ready for a match by having a steady and calm mindset, getting in a good meal beforehand, and watching films. Each of these ways is how they better themselves for their upcoming matches. Both Ledford and Colon have the same skill they’re best at which is moving from position to position and having a better speed than their opponents.

All in all girl’s wrestling is about strength, technique, determination, and friendship. First being strength, not just physically but mentally, you need to be able to have the confidence and courage to be able to go out there and make plays and not give up. The second is technique, if you go out on the mat for a match and you have no idea what you’re doing, it’s not going to end well. You need to have plays and positions that you know how to make to create a proper way for a takedown. Determination is the key to being successful, not just in wrestling but in daily life. Determination includes all the things of mental strength, confidence, courage and motivation to do what you do best and love. Last but definitely not least is friendship, friendship in the sport of wrestling is very important because not only do you have supporters you have people that will help you become the best athlete you can be and want. When you train and compete with one another you develop a strong bond, trust, and support for each other.

In wrestling, having friends on your team means having people who understand the challenges and victories you experience. They can offer advice, and motivation and help improve your skills. The friendships formed in wrestling can last a lifetime! Doing girl’s wrestling is a great opportunity to gain confidence, friendship, and discipline. Going into this new season come on down to PHVS and support our girl’s wrestling team!!