Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

“The future depends on what we do in the present” - Mahatma Gandhi ( An Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule).

This photo was captured from Pahrump Valley Times, and this is the cloud seeding machine located on Manse.

Robin Hebrock

Robin Hebrock

Alyssa Greenway, Journalist

As we all know, the government is always looking to modify something so they wield the power to control everything. The one thing that many people don’t want is them to have is the ability to change the weather.

With weather modification, anything can happen, and it could even mess up our ecosystem more than it already is from pollution.

There is a method that is called cloud seeding, which man-made crystals are sprayed in the air to produce rain. The most common chemicals used for cloud seeding is silver iodide, potassium iodide, dry ice, and liquid propane, which expands into a gas. This produces ice crystals with a higher temperatures than silver iodide.

Many people will often ask is cloud seeding safe? Not necessarily, because that silver iodide is a hazardous substance, a priority pollutant, and a toxic pollutant. Silver iodide is an inorganic compound with the formula AgI (2 Ag + L2 = 2 AgL).

Should we be worried? I think, yes! Cloud seeding is being brought to Pahrump, as if we already didn’t have enough problems in town, such as radiation, houses caving in, San Andreas fault line down the street, or even the fact that most people here are homeless or very poor due to low employment.

This operation was originally supposed to take place at Spring Mountain on 160, but they refused, wanting nothing to do with this just in case something were to happen, because you know their business will go down. The operation then had been moved to 7401 East Manse Road, which many are opposed to.

According to Pahrump Valley Times, resident Dwight Lilly stated, “I’m not saying I am all doom and gloom about this but I think that everybody should be concerned about what’s being blown up into the air and falling back down on top of us,” I believe this is true because who knows if they are really putting in what they are telling us.

The goal for cloud seeding in Pahrump is to increase snowfall in the area. With cloud seeding they are expecting to increase up to 10 -15% more snow; however, people are still not fond of the idea of this machine in our town.

The founders of this operation have been claiming that this is 100% safe to citizens and nature, but locals like Pat Minshall’s have done research shows that these chemicals do affect us, and the planets do absorb the chemicals.

We shouldn’t be messing with the weather no matter how much drought people may be in, no matter how many hurricanes, or tornadoes that have been formed. Many people would agree with this statement as well being that it’s not ethical.

Operating on the weather is almost as bad as our scientist messing with Black Matter (a hypothetical form of matter that is thought to account for approximately 85% in the universe, or as we know black holes) on our planet. We simply need to focus on cleansing our planet from the mess we’ve made, and make the air cleaner.

In the end, Mother Nature rules. She does her job. It is not her fault that this planet is falling apart and weather is changing. We humans have polluted and destroyed this planet with war and disease.

We may think that we are benefiting humanity but monitoring the weather will simply just create more damage than they have already. Merely tampering with this will come back to haunt us, if not kill us all.

About the Writer
Alyssa Greenway, Editor

My name is Alyssa Greenway and I have been writing for the school newspaper for about two-years. I typically like writing about the News and Featured such...

1 Comment

One Response to “Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?”

1. william p mueller on November 14th, 2018 8:19 am

Alyssa I love how you put in the problems of are town in to your artacl. In my opinion this artacal riley stood out to me becaue it is so amazing and I can tell that you are a talented ritter.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Opinion

Fact or Fiction?

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Opinion

In Regard to Ranch

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Opinion

Role Models or Just Models?

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Featured

Ranch?

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Opinion

(Boy)Scouts

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Opinion

Who is Playoff Bound?

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Featured

Women’s Rights

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Featured

Ways to breeze through your first year of high school (Tips and Advice)

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Featured

We Forget

• Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?

Opinion

Fall Festival

Cloudy With A Chance Of… Destruction?