Start of the Football Season

Ann Kocvara, Journalist

The Pahrump Valley Trojans lost to the Durango Trailblazers in the first game of the season 26-19 on August 25th. Our Trojans are hard working young men, although they did not win their first game, but we have the rest of the season to improve.

Trojans and Trailblazers on the line, ready to start a play.

Before the first game the team traveled Coronado high school to scrimmage against the the Coronado Cougars, to prepare them for the upcoming season. Stats for the scrimmage were not recorded because of it being a scrimmage.

Before the game Head Coach Joe Clayton said, “I think we’ll do well, I think we will control the clock and come out on top. ”Even though we did not come out on top, the boys controlled the clock and we ran the ball well.

I also asked Coach Clayton on what he expects from the boys; “We hold our boys to a high standard. I expect them to compete every Friday night…and they’re a tough group of boys.”

During the game, our team did not score in the first quarter, making the score 6-0. During the second quarter our offense started to roll, tying it 6-6. Throughout the night, it was back and forth with the teams, and in the fourth quarter, the score was 19-19 in the fourth quarter. The last couple minutes of the game, Durango scored making it 26-19.

Dylan Coffman, quarterback for the Trojans, was excited and confident for the game, he said, “I’m really confident, we have hardworking teammates.” It was a good game and the boys well, we just did not take the win.

The second game, on September 1st, was also a loss. Chaparral High School the Cowboys, defeated the Trojans 34-6. This team was extremely fast and ran the ball, and our boys could not stop them. Our offense had 153 total yards, Coffman had 53 yards, and the rest of the team had 100.

The third game, on September 8th, was interesting. It was delayed and later cancelled right before halftime because of heavy rain and lightning. The score was Trojans 24, Rancho 0. the Trojans leading the entire game. We were not off to a good to a good start, with one of the boys dropping the ball. They came back real quick with a 31 yard run by DeAngelo Brown.

The Trojans will not be going back to finish the game because the bye weeks do not line up. If both schools had the same bye week they would play and finish the game, but Rancho’s bye week has already passed.

It will also only be considered a win if both coaches agree to it being a win.

The Homecoming game, on September 15th, the team took the win with a score of 30-14. The Cory Bergan of the Trojans had a pick 6, where they returned an interception by Boulder City for a touchdown, towards the end of the first half. Bergan intercepted the ball and almost got destroyed at the end zone, but still scored the touchdown.

The next game will be a home game against Desert Pines High School on September 28th at 7 p.m. Last year the Trojans lost against the Jaguars but this year will be different. Tickets to get in will be $3 for students and $5 for adults.