New Band Director Making Progress

Mr. Wineski has been making some exciting changes to the PVHS Marching Band

Karley Broadhead, Journalist

A new band director at Pahrump Valley High School has made multiple improvements including new outfits for Marching Band and involving the students in more competitions. With a master’s degree in composition, Mr. Wineski hopes to develop a strong music program and inspire others to join band.

“As early as I can remember I’ve been surrounded by music,” Wineski says. “My dad and older brothers were all learning instruments when I was growing up and [I] wanted to learn an instrument. I got a toy drum set as a kid and then around 9 years old I started taking piano lessons.”

When asked to describe his piano playing skills, Mr. Wineski’s teacher’s aide, Jordyn Larsen, said, “Oh man, it’s amazing. There are no words to describe it.”

Although he encourages students to play the piano, Mr. Wineski wants each of his students to work on improving on their individual instruments. “As a kid, I never thought I would be a teacher, but as I got older, I enjoyed the teachers I had and thought I could pass down what I’ve learned and the love of music to a younger generation.”

Marching Band put on their first performance for the school during a Pep Rally on September 15.

Within the past year, the music department has raised enough money to buy new outfits for marching band, including professional marching shoes. The material is thin and light so the students do not get too uncomfortable while performing. Band students also have their own sweatshirts and sweatpants.

As the students became more accustomed to the new teacher, they eventually developed into a family.

“My favorite thing about being a teacher here are the students. They have great enthusiasm for music and they look out for each other,” Wineski says. “They are a family.”

Junior Carly Meza has been practicing the trumpet for the past couple of years. She is one of the many students in Marching Band and agrees with Wineski. “Everybody treats you like family,” she says. “[Mr.Wineski] is a positive reinforcement and also a sturdy hand at the same time.”

Wineski makes time for his students outside of school as well. “He has treated us to Sonic after we did a really good job at band camp,” Meza says.

During a Pep Rally on September 15, marching band performed for their first time at the high school in their new outfits and put on an impressive performance. Although it only lasted around two minutes, the band has made very obvious improvement from the previous years.

“Marching Band has improved so much,” Wineski says. “They are getting much better at sight reading music, which means we can learn more music in a shorter amount of time.” Although we haven’t heard much from the band music yet, students can look forward to great performances.

It has not been made official yet, but Wineski plans on taking marching band to Disneyland for competitions around the end of the school year.

It is clear that Mr. Wineski has made impressive progress this year and Pahrump Valley High School can look forward to a rise in its music program.